INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a DLNA client MC controller for my TV  (Read 1222 times)

TomS99

• Recent member
Suggestions for a DLNA client MC controller for my TV
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

Newbie here.  I just installed MC 23 primarily for recording OTA TV and to replace my old WMC/Xbox setup.  So far so good!  As soon as I set up the Media Network server, it showed up as an "input source" on my Samsung Smart TV.  When I select the MC source, all I have to do is select "videos" and then open a couple folders to get to the tv shows that have been recorded.  Not pretty, but all good.

The only thing I'm missing is the "Xbox piece".  I'm trying to find something small and inexpensive to act as a DLNA controller/renderer for MC like the Xbox does for WMC, with a remote control too, of course. 

I'm also thinking/hoping this might be a way for me to stream live tv from the server, and not just recorded shows.

But mostly I would just like to be able to view the tv guide and schedule/manage recordings on the TV without having to get up and go to the server.

UPDATE: Looks like both of what I'm looking for is simply not available.  What I would like to see in terms of remote live tv streaming and recording management like the WMC/Xbox combo provides would take an all new app on some platform tbd (xbox, ps3, chromebox, etc).

For now, I can easily make do by managing my tv recordings and scheduling on the server and use the cool features there to present customized folder views to the tv and other dlna clients.

And I must say... as a total newbie to JRiver... I'm likin' it a lot!

I would also like to mention the reason I'm moving from wmc/xbox to jriver is because I couldn't get that combo to work very well over my VPN/TAP L2 bridged network connection between the house where the WMC and JRiver servers are at and the house I'm at with the xbox and TV.  WMC/Xbox is a network hog and its transmission protocol is old and outdated and uses too many packets with TTL=1.  Whereas JRiver is streaming beautiful and smooth MPEG2 HD over 2000 miles of internet at just 2-3mbps.  Wow!  :)

jcdenton

• Recent member
Re: Suggestions for a DLNA client MC controller for my TV
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:25 pm »

As far as i understood you want to push Recorded Videos from MC Library remotely to TV? Most of Smart TV's have DLNA client and renderer nowadays. I think MC should see TV in MC's zones, just select TV and send content which you need.

And also if you want record something from TV directly to media library, you should share your directory with media over network and your TV should support and see that shared network media directory and write. But i don't think that TV's can record directly over network, mostly they record to it's own storage or external USB storage...

Pages: [1]   Go Up