INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any smart ideas for managing duplicate libraries?  (Read 2046 times)

fermenter

• Recent member
Any smart ideas for managing duplicate libraries?
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:49:01 am »

I currently have two libraries - a full set of MP3s, and a smaller set of FLACs (I still have some MP3s for which I do not have FLAC equivalents).

I really only listen at home these days, so I have less need for the MP3s where FLACs exist, so I'm considering merging the lot into a single master library and removing the redundant MP3s (at least from the MC library, if not the actual disc).

I'm thinking maybe I should keep the files in their separate FLAC/MP3 directories, import the new directory and then manually remove the duplicate MP3s from the new library (but leave them on the drive) - does that sound reasonable? I'm not worried about any playlist data, I barely use them.

I'm guessing I'm not the first person to go down this path, just wanted to see if there were any tips to smooth the process?!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any smart ideas for managing duplicate libraries?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:13:08 am »

don't have two libraries.  it's almost never the right choice

the "easiest" way will probably be to start a fresh library and only import the files you want (duplicates can be a pain to find).  if you want to keep stats like last played and number of plays, you'll need to delete them manually

if you need mp3 for an external player, you can use the sync handheld options to convert on the fly (and you'll never need an actual mp3 duplicate on disc)

you can also just keep the mp3 and flac separate using view schemes

charlychan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:38:24 am »

You can add a Library view and make a rule in "set rule for file display"
make rule : File type > is > mp3
and make another Library view with rule File type > is > flac

So you can use one library but with different views, one wit all your mp3's and one with all your flac's

fermenter

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:47:33 am »

if you need mp3 for an external player, you can use the sync handheld options to convert on the fly (and you'll never need an actual mp3 duplicate on disc)

Thanks, and good point - it makes the duplicate MP3s even less useful than I thought they were.

Just to be clear, I no longer wish to manage two separate libraries - I just want one library, with no duplicates and the best available files.

I don't care about stats etc, but album artwork and genres are important - not entirely sure how MC handles these for flacs?

Also still not sure how I'm going to identify the duplicates - thinking I might need to perform a slight album title tweak across one of the formats so that they show up separately in a graphical view. That way I can spot the duplicates and delete the MP3 versions?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »

If you need mp3 for an external player, you can use the sync handheld options to convert on the fly (and you'll never need an actual mp3 duplicate on disc)

Ferday,

Can you elaborate on this? I think I tried once in the long long past - and had a lot of trouble. Like the OP - I also have two libraries - one specifically for mobile/iPod and I would love to get rid of the MP3 stash - and convert on the fly.

But I have no idea how to get started - and more importantly - what happens when I have 40GB worth of stuff on the iPod already - I do not want to have MC keep converting the entire stash everytime.

Appreciate any tips you can share to set this up for the long haul.

Cheers!

VP

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:11:15 pm »

i don't know much VP, i only use it very basically. but i just add a device through the options>handheld menu, and set conversion options, and it works well.

now: it only syncs playlists, or ALL of some file type...there are no options for folder or view exclusions (that i know of).  that works fine for me, as i use playlists to keep the new stuff on top and sync with (smartlists are fine)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:00 pm »

This is a reasonable explanation of Syncing to a Handheld device: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Also search the forum for posts about it by Glynor and myself. There was one long thread that discussed all the ins and outs, and shortcomings.

MC will only sync changes and not the whole list, if you use the functionality correctly. But there are some caveats. Also, MC may need to convert and sync the 40GB of mp3s once before it knows what is already on the iPod. Also unless turned off MC will create and use a cache of mp3s anyway. So look into that. But once set up, it should work as you wish.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up