INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA missing composer tag  (Read 1628 times)

sbri

• Recent member
DLNA missing composer tag
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »

I have a question not directly related to MC as such but related to the difference the way MC works from my PC to my NAS and the way other music player apps work using DLNA or PLEX Server etc.
My problem is that if I am using,say, Foobar2000 mobile for example on an iPad or android phone  the composer tag  the composer info does not display when using Foobar2000 mobile and pulling the music files from my NAS.
I have my music files stored on a NAS in 3 different formats- FLAC (lossless), ALAC and LAME. Have tried all three formats.
All music was ripped using dbPoweramp. Composer info is part of the music files. I went to a lot of trouble to include it in about 50,000 tracks.

If I use JRiver on my PC, using the same music files from my NAS, JRiver displays all the tag fields I need / expected i.e. artist, album, track, composer, replay gain etc. etc. .
The default Foobar2000 mobile did not have a field for composer just artist, album, track, genre.
I have redesigned my Foobar2000 mobile skin to be able to be able to display the composer field.
Using the same NAS music files (as I use to play on the PC using JRiver) but using Foobar2000 mobile on either my iPad or android phone the composer field is blank.
Why does DLNA not appear to pass the composer tag..to me its arguably as important as the artist. Maybe a protocol limitation??
If I copy the same music files from the NAS to either the iPad or android phone and use the Foobar2000 mobile app to play from the iPad or phone on board memory all field display correctly including the composer info as I expect to see.
So I am perplexed as to why this issue happens.
Same music files.
Same Foobar2000 mobile app.
If I play from the NAS I get no composer info.
If I play from on board memory the composer info is there.
If I play using MC using a PC all the tag info including composer info is there. So I take it that MC is not using DLNA?
What I am trying to provide is a very minimal music set up of NAS---wifi Router---iPad---bluetooth speakers or headphones etc etc ( without the need of using a PC etc) for those occasions that I do not want my stereo system fired up.
Would be nice if JRiver had a solution for a music app that didn't involve a PC or MAC device but that would probably involve DLNA I guess..
I am guessing that it is a DLNA limitation of some sort but cannot find out exactly why. Are there different implementations / variations of DLNA that different manufacturers use or ??
My NAS is limited to uPnp/DLNA or PLEX server.
May need another brand of NAS I am guessing with a better server.
Anyone else with similar issues or any solution?
Thanks.
Steve

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA missing composer tag
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:15:29 am »

Yes. The UPNP specification does not have a standard tag for Composer.

Different application suppliers get around this by defining a custom tag. However the nature of such custom tags is that they often only work within the application ecosystem of the supplier who defined them..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

sbri

• Recent member
Re: DLNA missing composer tag
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:24 pm »

Thankyou for responding.
Shame the Foobar2k mobile  cannot present the composer info over DLNA as it is a very nicely presented app otherwise.
Anyone know of a decent music app for use with just a NAS / wifi / IPad or anroid wifi device / bluetooth speakers without the need of a PC / MAC that presents and sounds good as well as shows artist, album, title and composer? There are a lot of users out there that just use / require a simple set up.
Tried so far..8player, mconnect HD, neutron, dual player, player extreme.
before foobar2k mob I was happy with mconnect HD.
I will probably still use Foobar2k mobile till something better comes along just wish I had the skills to be able to modify it so it would present the composer tag and I would be happy   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up