INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI SPLITTER for HDMI 2.0 audio/video signals do they make these?  (Read 2935 times)

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member

I just bought a kaby lake nuc i7 recently ( said skylake on my last post got it wrong lol)  and its putting out hdmi 2.0 my tv does the same but my av reciever is a bit older -a marantz sr 5007 it is hdmi 1.4 and only seems to be able to do 30 fps is there any way to buy a splitting device to put the audio only to the marantz so i can still get the full video signal? maybe use the optical digital audio out on my tv would that work?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDMI SPLITTER for HDMI 2.0 audio/video signals do they make these?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:27 pm »

I presume you want to send 4K to the TV but your 5007 does not support it?
JRiver CEO Elect

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:07 pm »

from what i  can understand from the spec sheet the marantz av receiver only does hdmi 1.4 and both the tv and my nuc do hdmi 2.0 so it will only do 30fps@30hz and the other 2 can do the 60hz 60fps and it's bottlenecking the picture and im not getting the full picture quality to my tv -it still looks good but i would like to make it work as well as possible ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:28:50 pm »

...only if you are using 4K.  Are you trying to set you NUC to 4K or just 1080p?  If only 1080p it makes no difference if you use 1.4 or 2.0 HDMI chipsets.
JRiver CEO Elect

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:47:15 pm »

Ive just been using it to play back dvd and blue ray discs-i use a chromecast ultra hooked up to my andriod phone plugged in the back of the marantz reciever for the moment should i just plug that in the tv in the hdmi 2.0 input and use the optical digital out on the tv-the tv does have netflix built in it but i like being able to use my mobile phone as a remote with the chromecast what would you recomend is the optical digital out on the tv a good idea or is there another option or should i just use the tv-although i would like to be able to use other apps than the ones built into the tv.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:26:27 am »

The problem is that Optical Out (S/PDIF) can only support 5.1 DD/DTS or 2.0Ch PCM as it was invented decades ago.  This is not an issue if you only have 2 speakers or don't mind the sound being 5.1 in DD (but these are lossy). 

If you want the latest and greatest Audio formats you need a Receiver or output the sound from your NUC to the existing receiver using Analog Audio output (then you are stuck with the DAC in the NUC which will not be great quality).  If you go a new receiver, you can plug the Chromecast directly into it.

On HDMI Splitters you can get ones for 4K but I doubt it will work, as it will try to send the same stream to both the TV and the Receiver so it will probably make the output drop to 1080p.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 01:48:33 am »

Do you have two requirements: DVD and Blu-ray disc playback using MC on the NUC, plus 4K playback using Apps on your phone, the Chromecast Ultra, and all with sound through your Receiver?

If we are talking 4K from Apps like Netflix on the phone, cast to the Chromecast Ultra, you could try connecting the Chromecast Ultra to the TV using one of the HDMI 2.0 ports, then using the TV's HDMI port that supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) to send the audio back to the receiver via HDMI. But I don't know if that would work, because the TV would need to support video+audio input on one HDMI port, and audio output on another different HDMI port. That isn't what ARC was designed for as far as I know. Also, using that method you are losing the audio processing of MC and just playing the source audio on the TV/Receiver. Any DSP would have to be done on the Receiver.

PS: Plugging the Chromecast Ultra into an HDMI 1.4 port on the Receiver and playing 4K 60fps to it was never going to work, because the Receiver can't handle 4K 60fps.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:52 am »

Good point.  ARC would work but again only same spec as S/PDIF but you would not need another cable.
JRiver CEO Elect

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:40:34 am »

Thank you guys for the advice I will give the optical out on the tv's hdmi 2.0input through the chromecast a try as im only running a 5.1 system in my lounge as i don't have any more room for more speakers anyway ;D and the wife would kill me if i added more but if it doesn't go well i'll hold my horses and look for a good deal on a hdmi 2.0 amp with a preamp output when I can. Thanks again :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up