INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I copy all the media files in a playlist to a USB stick?  (Read 4001 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I copy all the media files in a playlist to a USB stick?
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

I recall doing this once before - but now I can't figure it out.

I want to copy about 50 songs from a playlist to a USB stick.

I can highlight all the song titles in the playlist (the actual media files are scattered around in multiple album folders) but when I use the "Send To" it does not show the USB stick (it has the Burner listed).

The USB stick does show up under "Drives and Devices" but not in the Send To listing. The Export feature only sends the playlist file not the actual media files. And the Copy feature doesn't work with a Playlist (as least I can get it to) which means I have to locate and select every individual file.

I'm pretty sure I was able to do this once before - and it was not very hard. Your help is appreciated.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: How do I copy all the media files in a playlist to a USB stick?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »

didn't that have to do with drives and devices but the x64 build is not yet capable? or can you use the option to burn like actually burning to a cd ? or is it a drag and drop the playlist ?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »

Did you try copy and paste?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »

Odd. I tried again and now it is working.
This time I re-formatted the USB stick to FAT32 (it may have been NTFS, if that matters). The "Send To" had the USB stick listed and I'm copying files now. Nice!

I didn't know one could do a "Copy Paste" from the Playlist view. I'll try that with my next Playlist file copy.

UPDATE: The "Send To" did not work. It did not copy just the Playlist songs - it copied all my music (even songs not on the Playlist) to the USB stick.
Also, the "Copy Paste" does not work from the Playlist view.

This is a real PAIN.

Using "Send To" would be desirable because then I can convert any FLAC files (which don't work on my car player) to MP3, but that seems to start a "Snyc" process that wants to analyze my entire audio collection.
However sometimes it gives a "transfer" button instead of "sync". MC has my USB stick identified as a "handheld" device. Transfer makes sense, I don't want to sync anything. But I don't know what determines which MC choices to do.
But the main problem with the Send To method is that it wont let me select a folder on the USB stick to copy to. Trying a second time to use Send To, now displays all my selected files a duplicates and won't let me do anything. Also it wants to add a folder for Artist/Album and I just want all the songs in the same folder.

So I'm going to try the Copy tool.

Using the Library Tools>Copy function allows me to select the folder on the USB stick to copy to, but it won't "convert" the files to mp3, and for some reason it is adding a number (track number?) to the beginning of each file name. I had to manually deleted that number (looks like "01-02-filename") from each file.

I spent over an hour copying, converting, renaming 50 audio files. There has to be an easier way. And please don't say "read the Wiki", there is nothing in the Wiki that describes this process.

Blu99Zoomer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:04:30 pm »

I am watching this one closely.  I too thought I had seen this done in the past.  Tried to find it, but hmmmm.  My old brain is how shall I say...

Best  of luck,

Blu99Zoomer

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:50 pm »

I don't follow why you don't use handheld sync for this, just make sure only that playlist is checked in the options tab and I don't think it should check your entire collection.

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:26 pm »

I don't follow why you don't use handheld sync for this, just make sure only that playlist is checked in the options tab and I don't think it should check your entire collection.
This simply works....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:02:00 pm »

Maybe that's the way it is supposed  to be done. I use MC 99% for Movies and TV Shows, so whatever I learned about the Audio side I have long forgotten.

I don't consider a USB stick to be a "handheld" - maybe I need to expand my definitions. I never would have thought of that. I guess I'm not very smart (and I'm getting dumber as I age) - as I 've been using MC for 5+ years and I find it getting harder to figure out and use.

Thanks for replying and providing the answer.

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 07:00:47 pm »

Don't beat yourself up....I've seen all the help you provide others, with calm and clarity.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 02:47:55 am »

I don't consider a USB stick to be a "handheld" - maybe I need to expand my definitions. I never would have thought of that. I guess I'm not very smart (and I'm getting dumber as I age) - as I 've been using MC for 5+ years and I find it getting harder to figure out and use.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply this was obvious, I just thought this is what you were referring to when you mentioned sync.

FWIW I think the feature is misnamed as it is not really a handheld sync at all (because it doesn't identify a specific devices), instead it is a general purpose "make a copy of a subset of my library while altering the contents along the way" tool. ie what it calls "device" is really "any directory on your system".

It would be nice if it were enhanced to identify devices where possible as well providing better control over output file name formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up