INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the best format to rip blue ray movies?  (Read 3055 times)

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
what is the best format to rip blue ray movies?
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:45:42 am »

what is the best format to rip blue ray movies I'm using mkv but it does seem to be a bit pixelated on playback I'm using a 4K tv which obviously would be a factor in it being pixelated and is there any settings that can be used to make it a bit less grainy on the JRiver system and if there is any reading to do on how to adjust settings etc could anyone give me a link to the site i can do my reading. Thank you guys your always so helpful and got great advice I do try and find my own info first but im not sure where to look sometimes so your help is really appreciated   :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: what is the best format to rip blue ray movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:46:22 am »

It should not matter if you Rip to MKV, or Rip to Folder - the "quality" should be the same.  You could try ROHQ if you system (GPU) is strong enough.  Tools--> Options--> Video--> General Video Settings--> Video Mode

I'm assuming you are ripping (aka copying) and not transcoding.
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:01:12 am »

I use MakeMKV and have never noticed an issue.

MakeMKV transcodes re-muxes as it rips. It doesn't compress/transcode.

What are you using to do the job.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:54:42 am »

I have been using make mkv but i guess im expecting too much with the older movies -problem is when i try to decrease the resolution in the playback settings to make it look better the screen size shrinks in the playback as well so I dont know what to do there either lol.

Manfred

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 04:30:23 pm »

If you rip through JRiver, the structure of the disc is also the structure of the rip.

For music concerts I use this method.

For Film and TV Series I use the mkv format because for each Episode of a Series I get a separate mkv file and a separate entry in the LS Server for each episode.

If you use search you will find different opinions. From a quality point of view I have not find any difference.

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »

@astromo I "fixed" you post
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 03:45:55 am »

@astromo I "fixed" you post

Sneaky jmone ..  :D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Goatshade

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 05:18:15 am »

In my experience, the best results come from DVDFab under the MKV H.265 10-bit profile. This is a lossy process, but it'll produce high-quality rips at the smallest storage foot print possible.

MakeMKV is also very good if you want uncompressed, but it'll result in very large files. It's like ripping a CD in WAV versus FLAC or APE. However, this would potentially be the preferred methodology if you're ripping 4K Blu-ray, since those are already encoded in H.265.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:46:01 pm »

What kind of size files do you get using the H.265 compression?
With MakeMKV I'm getting file sizes from 20 to nearly 40 gb....

Goatshade

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »

What kind of size files do you get using the H.265 compression?
With MakeMKV I'm getting file sizes from 20 to nearly 40 gb....
Depends on the source, but if memory serves, H.265 10-bit will yield file sizes from 33% to 66% smaller, compared to H.264.
Pages: [1]   Go Up