INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help with a smartlist to find all tracks where [Artist] = [Album Artist]  (Read 3165 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I've been using Picard to help with tagging, and it's been putting artist into the album artist field.  I'd rather [Album Artist] be blank unless it is actually someone other than the [Artist].  i.e. only populated if one artist has compiled tracks from other artists on one CD.

[Album Artist (auto)] works just fine to give me the right info if done this way.

i can't figure out how to create the smartlist to isolate just these tracks that have it duplicated.
pretend this is something funny

marko

• MC Beta Team

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Album Artist],[Artist]

ought to do it. Hit the "Import/Export" button in the smartlist editor and past that in, replacing whatever is there already, then OK your way out.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

sadly, that didn't work.  it returns my entire audio library.

marko

• MC Beta Team

Well, that's surprising. I don't have an MC in front of me at the moment, but, if I did, and that first search is definitely returning tracks where they are not the same,
 I would try this next...

[=isequal([album artist,0],[album,0],1)]=1

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

sadly, still not working.  I had to add in audio only, but it returns 29 tracks, 25 of which have no artist, but 4 do have artist info and only one of those 4 has an album artist, but it doesn't match the artist.  weird.

ferday

• MC Beta Team

edit: marko's first one doesn't work for me either.  there is something weird going on, as that should work perfectly

try something simpler for the moment, like checking the album artist for not empty

-[Album Artist]=[]

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

that does work to give me non-empty album artists

ferday

• MC Beta Team

i had good luck with this one

~matches=[Album Artist],[Artist]

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

that doesn't even fill out fields in the criteria, weird.

I'll just keep doing it manually.

thanks all for trying

ferday

• MC Beta Team

did you wait a bit?  it can take some time to load ~matches if you have a large library.  i think mine took a full minute or more to show anything

if yours isn't working at all you need to sort out a bug report.  i think ~dup is already broken, i'll test further and report it.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

when I enter ~matches=[Album Artist],[Artist] into the import/export box and hit okay the result is a blank smartlist box, with nothing in it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Try this one in a new SmartList. It also eliminates cases where the [Album] and [Album Artist] fields are empty, and hence match, from the results.

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Album Artist]=[] ~sort=[Album Artist],[Media Type],[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Artist] ~matches=[Album Artist],[Artist]
No line breaks. Import it as one "sentence" as above.

But make sure you check the Import/Export dialogue after you paste the above in and Apply it. The Import/Export of rules sometimes reformats stuff to change the meaning. Also, I first copied one of the above examples into the Import/Export and it added in a couple of escape "?" characters that stopped the SmartList from working.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team

I have an MC now, and can confirm with RoderickGI above, the ~dup is pulling in all instances where album artist is empty.

[Media Type]="audio" -[Album Artist]=[] ~dup=[Album Artist],[Artist] ~sort=[Artist],[Name]
Also appears to work out OK.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I also use MusicBrainz Picard so I took your query a little further JustinChase.

I have quite a few albums where there is one main Album Artist, with a few tracks that are either by other Artists or include other Artists as well as the main Album Artist. The [Artist] field being a list type field. In those cases I want the [Album Artist (auto)] field to stay the same as the main Artist for all tracks in the Album. If I delete the [Album Artist] tag on such Albums, the [Album Artist (auto)] correctly changes to (Multiple Artists).

So when I find a track that has duplicate [Artist] and [Album Artist] values, I can't decide whether to delete the [Album Artist] tag or not unless I can see all the tracks for the Album. Hence I made two changes to the Smartlist.

1. I add the "~a" modifier to the rules to append all tracks from any Album where one track has been selected.
2. In the resulting view I set the "Group By" setting to "Album".

I can then see the whole Album with all tracks and decide if I want to change what MusicBrainz Picard has done or not.

The new code is;
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Album Artist]=[] ~sort=[Album Artist],[Media Type],[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Artist] ~matches=[Album Artist],[Artist] ~a
Note that in this and the previous version I left the sort parameters set at the default for a new audio Smartlist.

EDIT: I had a bit of a go with the ~dup command as well, and just tried your new version Marko. I'm still getting some strange results. Sorting by Artist helps to see what MC is doing, but I am getting some results that are showing partial matches between the [Artist] and [Album Artist] tags. i.e.

[Artist]                         [Album Artist]
2Pac feat. Danny Boy     2Pac
801 Live                        801

Also seeing
2 Sinners                      (Multiple Artists)
50 Cent                         Original Soundtrack
AFI                                A.F.I.

and so on. That was before I added the ~a function to expand to whole Albums, or Grouped By [Album]. It seems that ~dup is doing a bit of a fuzzy match, which I think it is supposed to, while ~matches does an exact match, which is probably better in this case.

Thoughts?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

Thanks everyone for their help.  It's still not working for me, neither the ~dup nor the ~matches expressions are working.  They just give me a list of all non-empty album artists.

It's fine, I'll just keep doing it manually.  I'll exclude album artists known to do compilation albums to exclude the obvious, and do a few at a time.

thanks again for trying to help me.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Did you copy and paste my code above into a new Audio Smartlist, using the Import/Export functionality? Then check it was saved correctly?

It is actually a very simple expression. I can't understand how it wouldn't work.

Regardless, I now have a new Smartlist to sort out the issues Picard created for me.  8)

marko

• MC Beta Team

I just had time for peak at this before leaving the house and, yeah... when did ~dup get fuzzy? I'll need to check a few smartlists over the weekend :(
I still think we need to check with Hendrik/Matt that it's not broken.

~matches cleans the results up properly for me too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up