INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi Fully Baked Overheating  (Read 1615 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
IdPi Fully Baked Overheating
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:10:15 am »

Since installing a new SD card to upgrade from MC 22 to MC 23.082 I am having overheating problems. That results in it becoming inoperable and only showing a temp gauge on the screen. When I cool it down for an hour or two it is again usable. It usually takes 4-10 hours to overheat to shutdown and doesn't seem to make a difference if we are playing audio or not.

It ran fine with my previous card for the aprox 2 months that I had it.

My application is audio only and the IdPi is a Client. The analog out goes to a receiver. I have connected a usb keyborad and mouse and a monitor that is normally off.  We control it using a Samsung tablet with the EOS remote control program. I had been trying out a ZStick and ZWave controlled outlet to run JRiver Play Power. These items are presently disconnected. I also have the top cover removed.

Besides the nuisance factor a big concern is that I need to unplug it to let it cool down. My understanding is that unplugging the power source can cause problems with the SD card.

Via Google I have read of others having overheating problems with the Raspberry 3 but they seem to occur when the computer is working hard. In our case it happens when nothing is going on - not even playing music.

Cheers,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: IdPi Fully Baked Overheating
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

It could be MC analyzing files in the background I guess.  Try turning that off.  Turn off thumbnailing too.

How many files are on the card or any attached devices or NAS?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:21:11 am »

You could investigate kit like this as another alternative:
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-heatsink
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:19:48 am »

Looks like temps are okay now and have been for about 2 1/2 days.

There are no media files on the card - they all come from our server. All audio files were previously analyzed on the server so I doubt that was the problem. But it sure could have been thumbnail creation. The server has about 8,300 audio files, 63,000 image files and 700 video files.

At Jim's suggestion I looked for ways to turn off thumbnail creation and could only find two settings. One would enable video file creation and that was off. The other is a low, medium and high setting for thumbnail threading. It was on low. Are there others?

Astromo - Thanks for the tip on the heat-sink. There already are two small metal finned heat-sinks installed. I wonder if the one you linked might be more efficient? There are also aluminum cases available that apparently provide good heat dissipation but I had hoped to avoid that.

Cheers,
Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up