INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 9.1.202 -- New Tagging System...  (Read 9476 times)

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 9.1.202 -- New Tagging System...
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2003, 03:49:25 am »

[I'm not in the mood/position to play with 9.1 alphas at all yet, but...]

One question:
Does this replace the normal File Info tagging method for MP3s found in prior MC/MJ releases?

nila

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2003, 04:12:50 am »

all the old methods are still there :)

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2003, 04:15:42 am »

So many people scared of making mistakes...
OK ,here's my 2c worth.
Currently, confirmation is required if 100 files or more are changed.  Make this user defined - those of you that are scared leave at the default of all changes (1 file ).
Those that are more competent, braver, risk takers whatever adjust to fit.  Me, I think 100 is too high (like Rocketsauce suggested) and I would settle on probably 15-20.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2003, 04:45:38 am »

Image Tagging - WooHoo!  I'm glad to see that you've "borrowed" Photoshop Album's only worthwhile feature.  While you are at it, you should borrow their "Other" category as well.  They use "People", "Places", Events" and "Other" as their four main categories.  Users can create as many sub-categories as they wish, but cannot create new main categories.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2003, 05:34:22 am »

Also for instance as my view scheme I have: Artist grouped - if I check the box that is: C-E - whats it going to do to my artist tags?

It doesn't do anything. You can click all you want, but you can't actually check any of the other boxes. This, in my mind, means that the checkboxes shouldn't even be shown for groups like that.

But here's my take on this whole thing...

Like Matt said, there is the Undo feature if you make a mistake. But Undo is really only going to help you if you notice you've made a mistake. What if you don't notice that you accidentally changed all of your Metallica files so that the artist is Bryan Adams? Later on, you're looking for Metallica and it's not there.

But this seems to be a moot point, as Matt seems very interested in making sure this isn't quite so accident prone as it seems to be now.

I really think that the toggle button idea, or Machinehead's VS - Tag Mode idea is the way to go. Just bumping down the number of files you have to tag before MC prompts you about the changes is just fraught with shortcomings. For one thing, if you make it too high, even in the 15-20 range, it's still possible for a friend or family memeber to change a bunch of different files singly and never get prompted. If you make it too low, then you lose the ease of being able to quickly make taggin changes, since you'll be constantly acknowledging that you really want to do this.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2003, 05:50:59 am »

Make it an option in: <click to add view> ---- Tag Mode

Could also add a toolbar button. Wouldn't be that hard to add this, and falls under the graphical part of Matts request.

Or even a Registry On/Off if they dont want to put a GUI to turn it on/off ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2003, 06:15:07 am »

Registry hacks are a horrible idea. I don't think anybody really wants this feature turned off semi-permanently. We just don't want it on when we're not consiously editting tags. And I don't want to have to edit the registry every time I decide to edit a tag.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2003, 09:35:41 am »

Doof, I agree, a Registry hack is NOT the way to go .. a UI button for ON/OFF is .. Im just offering it up if they refuse to do a UI button !

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2003, 10:27:20 am »

MachineHead's idea just might work. Let me think about it a bit more, but right now, it's the best suggestion I've read in this thread so far.

Wobbley

jlee

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2003, 11:18:03 am »

Party mode -- it's already there.

And with tagging, "easy" and "dangerous" probably always go hand-in-hand.  Personally I'll take easy.  MC has undo.  It also asks for confirmation before it changes many files.

And since the checkboxes disappear and only effect the exact selection, it's not that scary.

If there are ideas (other than obfuscating the feature so new users never find it) to make it less dangerous, please let us know.

Thanks.

I can see both points of view here.  I have 20K music tracks and it's taken over 2 years to tag them all very carefully.  This means 2 things (exactly as Matt said):
1.  It's a bloody awful job that needs to be made easier.
2.  To lose all that hard work with one errant click of the mouse would be a little...let's say frustrating!

My suggestion (and forgive me 'cos I don't have the beta version so I haven't used it) is to keep the 'ease' factor but just add an 'Apply' button to save any accidents.  It's also vital that Party Mode disables this function all together.

On the subject of 'Apply' my number one suggestion as a very new user to MC v9.0 (and very impressed I might add) is for the button to be visible in the properties window rather than you having to select Commands>Apply.  I would expect Apply to be available with one click in the same window in which the changes were applied.

Any thoughts?

Lee,
Barnsley UK.

nila

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2003, 12:34:03 am »

U have my vote for the button to toggle tagging on and off.

It's clear, intuitive and easily rules out accidentally messing up tons of tags.

Fair enough it might take a beginner a little while to realise it's there but compared to some of the other MC features, the amount of time it will take them is nothing, especially if the button is put in an easy to spot place and is made extremely clear and accessible.

I'd personally love to be able to click a button to turn tagging mode on or off.
For me it'd put my mind at ease as to accidental tagging mistakes.

BUTTON BUTTON BUTTON!! - We want the button :)

(oh yeah - I want some more faces on this board too so I can put an insane one right there)  ;D

Oh yeah - and registry hack = NO!!!

I already am annoyed enough about the fact we can customise the right click menu's memory size but have to do a reg hack for that - its such a nice feature so well hidden to the point where its wasted..

MachineHead

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2003, 01:02:05 am »

Button would be fine. Maybe find a way to make this the new form of File Properties. Rather have this real estate then the postage stamp it is now.

I know Doof, it can be resized, etc., etc.  ;)

nila

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2003, 01:13:03 am »

:)
U still want it back on the right huh Machine? :)

I'm used to it on the left, dont particularly love it as I can only have one group open at a time which means I have to keep closing groups etc.

Especially when u started adding ur own fields it gets way out of control and barely is able to fit.

The real thing that's needed is the ability to customise the properties window so we can choose which fields show so we can remove unnecessary fields from showing in views - for my veiw for Dance performaces I dont really need to see Genre, or Track # etc.
I want to see that it's a Missy Elliot Video and which ones of my friends are dancing with her in the video etc. Maybe who choreographed it too.

For series I want to see: Episode Name, Series, Episode Number etc.

The ability to create our own fields works great but it hasn't quite reached the point where we can really set it up to be based mainly around our own fields rather than the standard ones.

Also - the biggest reason I still want the pane on the right is so I can permenantly leave the one on the left set to one of the other pages - statistics, image, etc.

Give me access to a LOT more info straight off hand with no fidgetting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up