INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV live playback sudden speedup then freeze  (Read 1738 times)

gworrel

• Recent member
TV live playback sudden speedup then freeze
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:44 am »

I don't use the TV feature much in JRiver but I have an HDHomerun Connect. While watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I was seeing occasional sudden speedup of the video to about 10x for 2-3 seconds, then a pause for a few seconds while the audio caught up, then it would resume as normal. I just updated my computer to Ryzen 1700, 16gb, Geforce 1060 3gb, and SSD boot drive. I am using MC22. A search did not turn up anything but I wonder if this is a known issue or what could be the possible cause? During the course of the game, it probably happened at least 20 times. I did pause the playback for a few seconds so it was not exactly live the entire time. It happened while live and after the pause. I never see this effect while playing back Blurays.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV live playback sudden speedup then freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »

I might have seen something similar but not just watching Live tv. I think it was when using FF/RW/Pause, and I think it was on (low powered) Client PC's, not the Server machine.

Not trying to force you to upgrade... but there have been a LOT of improvements in Tv since version 22.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

gworrel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:34 pm »

I am not opposed to upgrading but it would be nice to know that upgrading would solve the specific problem I am seeing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 04:20:33 am »

There have been a few people report a similar problem in the past. You may be able to find the threads with a search.

When you watch live TV MC plays the video using a different video engine compared to when playing a recording. So if you pause Live TV for a bit longer than 2-3 seconds, you can build up enough buffer so that MC is effectively playing a recording. Sometimes that is enough to prevent the runaway video issue.

I think previous issues were solved with things like a reinstallation of MC, as something had gotten messed up at some stage. Not something I usually advise, but doing a manual library backup, full uninstall including settings, reinstall and restore of the database including settings might fix the problem. If MC and your library are on your boot drive, it may pay to do a backup of the full boot drive before the uninstall, in case something really goes wrong.

Other less drastic things that may fix it are deleting madVR (if you use ROHQ) and the LAV subdirectories, then play video in MC to initiate the download and reinstallation of those components again.

With an HDHomeRun there have also been some reports of power supply failures, or failing power supplies, causing all sorts of trouble, such as this. So if your HDHomeRun is old, or lived in a hot environment much of the time, a new power supply might fix it. Firmware and software updates have fixed some problems for those tuners as well. Although they usually fix problems caused by Windows updates. If you have stayed on the one version of MC22 for some time, but are using Windows 10 now on your new PC, an HDHomeRun software update, which includes the firmware in most updates (check their change log as not all updates include firmware), could fix your issue.

I guess though if you only just upgraded your PC, you would have done a clean Windows 10 installation and used all the latest drivers, software, and would have a clean MC installation?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

gworrel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:17 am »

Thanks for the reply. I was going to revisit MadVR setup since my GPU upgrade anyway so that is something I will do. Are the optimum settings there any different for TV playback vs Blurays?

I have not always been getting great reception with the HDHomerun compared to other tuners I've used some years ago with the same attic antenna so that is suspect. I looked at updates for that but I could not find a link to the last firmware update in their changelog. They only show a download for the most recent software update that does not update firmware.

If I remember right, I think I bought the HDHomerun used so I don't know the whole history. A new power supply is probably fairly cheap.

I did not do a clean install of Windows 10. We installed a new motherboard and updated all the drivers and everything there seems ok. I own a computer repair shop and my tech has 15 years with me so he generally knows what he is doing. Not that that guarantees anything.

I was hoping for a simple setting change but this gives me some things to check. With the Olympics starting shortly, I expect to be watching more than usual. Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »

No specific settings for madVR. Just use the defaults that ROHQ sets initially. If you need to tweak things do that later.  I'm not an expert and only tweak a little myself. The Doom forum probably has better advice on settings for madVR.Lots of threads here though.

Definitely look into signal strength and quality. Which HDHomeRun do you have? How many tuners? I had to upgrade my antenna when I installed a quad tuner for MC, as it needed a stronger signal. I also only had an analogue antenna up until then and replaced it with an antenna designed for digital TV. Made a big difference. Use a good Antenna supply and installation company who know what they are doing and local conditions if you do decide to upgrade.

I don't actually have an HDHomeRun so haven't gone through these issues myself. I see SiliconDust have now moved their software to the Microsoft Store, which makes it pretty hard to get earlier versions. If your HDHomeRun is pretty old it may not be supported, or supported well, by the latest software. The requirements say "Requires HDHomeRun PRIME, CONNECT, EXTEND, or EXPAND". The changelog does say that Release 20171221 needs to be sideloaded in Windows, which could imply that the version in the Microsoft store is Release 20170930. I would have a look on their forum for advice.

Trust your tech. But s/he can't prevent Microsoft from screwing things up with updates. There have been other problems with HDHomeRun tuners caused solely by Microsoft updates, and fixed by resetting settings in the software, or just uninstalling and reinstalling the HDHomeRun software. You could try that if you have the source installation files for your existing software.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up