INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 Browser Problems and SAMBA  (Read 2344 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows 10 Browser Problems and SAMBA
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:29:59 am »

This article explains what the changes were to Windows 10 that cause browsing to fail.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e105ef02-962e-437f-aaf3-ad3b533571fb/master-browser-not-working-for-non-windows-devices-in-build-1709-and-1703?forum=win10itpronetworking

It seems that browsing has been removed from Windows 10 and the only way to get it back is to enable SMB 1.0 support as detailed above.

You still should be able to find your Id via IP or with it's name, i.e. Id-XXXXXX or whatever you've renamed it to from a run explorer windows thusly:

\\Id-XXXXXX
or
\\1.2.3.4

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Windows 10 Browser Problems and SAMBA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:43:38 am »

Windows itself does not rely on this outdated mechanism, so apparently Samba dropped the ball?

SMB 1.0 is insecure and therefor disabled by default, and probably even removed in the future, so its not a "fix" to return to that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:22 pm »

I don't think it's a SAMBA problem, as I understand it. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:13 am »

Windows itself does not rely on this outdated mechanism, so apparently Samba dropped the ball?

SMB 1.0 is insecure and therefor disabled by default, and probably even removed in the future, so its not a "fix" to return to that.
It's not clear to me what windows is using to find computers now but with the SMB 1.0 client disabled on windows 10, the ONLY thing the network browser shows as a "computer/share" is Windows computers. No NAS, router shares, etc show up.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »

My NAS (Synology) Has SMB 1, 2 and 3.  So why does windows only show it if 1 is enabled?  Does windows 10 not include Samba 2 or 3 at all?

I tried disabling SMB 1 on my NAS to make it more secure.  But then Windows 10 won't find it at all.  Not even using direct UNC paths.

Even with the "Computer Browser" service disabled.

Carl

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:56:21 pm »

Stupid Microsoft. They seem to be accelerating their demise in the consumer computer OS market. Incompetent prats.

However, I am not sure that thread is completely accurate. Both my HTPC and Workstation are on Windows version 1709, Build 16299.248. My HTPC is still running as the Master Browser. It can see my Workstation in Windows Explorer > Network. My Workstation can't see my HTPC in Windows Explorer > Network, but I can get to the HTPC shares from my Workstation using a UNC, i.e. //HTPC/Music/.

So I still don't know exactly what is going on. Except that Microsoft no longer wants to be in the consumer market, and is just making it so difficult for users that they will change to something else, or a competitor will develop something else, or we will all just use phones from now on, for which, by the way, Microsoft no longer make an OS. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that those in charge of Microsoft are trying to destroy it from within. Really. I mean that.

Oh, another little surprise. With this change I can now see my neighbour's phone under Windows Explorer > Network for some reason. She isn't actually on my network, but a phone shows up called "queenchristine" with a MAC Address and no other information. That is Tina's phone next door. Surprise!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up