INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting tuners that are preferred by some channels at the bottom of tuner priority list  (Read 785 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Do you have tuners that are preferred by some channels?  If so, those tuners will always be put at the end of the device list, no matter what you do manually.

I played a little more with this:  I rolled back to .91 and behavior was the same as .96 so it looks like it's always been like this as per Yaobing's quote.
Before I did a fresh install I think all my tuners were chosen in the preferred list which is why I could reorder them.

Ideally one should be able to choose the priority under Manage Devices whether or not tuners are in the preferred list.

For example if a show is aired on both an analog and digital device and you're not careful in your subscription channel list, the analog capture card will be chosen (in my case the colossus...Unwanted)

So for now I added one sub-channel which I use rarely for my third ATSC digital card so that I can reorder all 3 ATSC digital Cards to my liking...But it doesn't resolve the Colossus issue above...

So the question stands Yaobing could you please let us choose the device priority list regardless of whether or not they are part of the preferred tuner list?
thx

Thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

If you did not have any issues previously, you should not worry about it as you have discovered that the behavior has not changed.  The recent change is only about making the ordering take effect sooner (before MC restart).

Imagine this, you have channel 1 which you prefer using tuner A.  Now by setting tuner A on top of the priority list, all you have achieved is to guarantee that tuner A will be loaded when you play any other channels (Channel 2, 3, 4 etc.)  Once tuner A is loaded for channel 2, it is not available for channel 1.  That defeats the purpose of setting tuner A as channel 1's preferred tuner.

By automatically moving tuners that are preferred by some channels to the bottom of the list, you reserve the tuners for those channels that prefer them.  You simply can not set a tuner at the top of the list for all channels while still try to reserve it for a few particular channels.

Also you definitely do not need to worry about your STB (Colossus) at all.  Priority of tuners only apply to tuners of the same type.  And it makes sense only if you have multiple tuners that can serve the same channel.  For your STB channels, each of them must use your Colossus, regardless where you put the Colossus on the list.  Your other (non-STB) channels types will never touch the Colossus.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Let me try to explain:

I have 3 hauppage tuners + One HD PVR  for a satellite Box:

Tuner A: Hauppage 1250 very fast and sensitive tuner which picks up all channels without problem.
Tuner B: Hauppage 950Q which picks up all local Canadian channels and most of the US channels (not all) BUT is very slow when channel surfing...(I don't think it has anything to do with MC as SageTV was behaving the same way with this card...)
Tuner C: Hauppage 950 which is the least sensitive and is only reliable for local channels but is fast.

I set Tuner A as the preferred tuner for my 2 weakest channels (out of 32) ABC and FOX
I set Tuner C as the preferred tuner for all local channels mostly for recordings but don't want to use it for channel surfing or recordings as it will not receive some weaker channels.

I don't want to use Tuner B as it is slow but will want to use it if Tuner A and Tuner C are busy with recordings ONLY.

Ideally I want to use Tuner A all the time if it is not busy recording shows on ABC and Fox.

So this is why I want to set the tuner in that order under manage devices:

1. Tuner A.
2. Tuner B.
3. Tuner C.
4. HD PVR

The only reason I want the HD PVR last is if I Record a show that will both air on ATSC or a specialized channel on the STB, I want the ATSC to record for both better image quality and to leave the HD PVR unused for channel surfing of specialized channels...

This was not that big a deal before I added an Hauppage HD PVR card to that PC. (Not my main HTPC but used often in the living room).

I'll play around a little more with this to test recordings, priorities and so on and will get back to you Yaobing thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up