INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Blu-ray Menu Support (Beta)  (Read 20319 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: Blu-ray Menu Support (Beta)
« Reply #400 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:53 pm »

The menus control the subtitles. Seems to work fine for me.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »

AHA then I know what the issue is.  On Disney titles you get a sub-menu before previews that allows you to skip right to the main movie.  I suspect it's not setting the subtitles in that case?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »

That is indeed the case. MC just renders whatever the menu logic spits out.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

Well that's no good.  Guess I'll have to go to the menu every time.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:28 pm »

Ok I finished watching the movie so I took a look at the menu.  This specific disc sucks!  The subtitle choices in the menu are None, English for hearing impaired, and other languages.  They have to have forced subs even when "none" is selected because the disc plays properly on a licensed player with the subtitles when they're speaking in Wakandan (I guess that's what you call it LOL).  That's just not right! 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2018, 08:26:32 pm »

Is that UHD or normal Blu-ray?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:16 pm »

Regular blu-ray.  It's from the 4k steel book but I've yet to buy my 4K TV.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2018, 05:04:41 am »

My copy of Black Panther (which I'm assuming we were talking about) shows forced subtitles automatically. Not sure if its a separate stream or the forced sub filter works properly though. Although I didn't see the option to skip straight to the movie?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #408 on: June 20, 2018, 08:30:51 am »

When I play the movie, it asks for language then shows the marvel intro.  Just before the previews start to play, a little menu pops up at the bottom that scrolls left and right that allows you to continue with the previews, play the main movie, or skip to the menu.  Almost all my Disney discs have this menu.  Usually I select play the movie from there.  You don't have that on your Black Panther disc?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:03 am »

I usually just press the top menu button when trailers play to skip them, may have missed that thing.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #410 on: June 20, 2018, 10:16:35 am »

Which is fine.  I'll have to test it again ensuring I START IT from the menu itself and see if that triggers the subtitles.  It didn't from the mini-menu bar thing that comes up so I have my doubts since that should have worked as it does on other players.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:37 am »

I just tried using that menu and it still activates subtitle track 7, which I assume is the forced sub track, and it shows fine at 3:30 or so when its used first.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #412 on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:13 am »

Then I've no idea what's happening but it most definitely said subtitles were off and never showed them.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #413 on: June 20, 2018, 11:15:25 am »

So I just tried again with always show subtitles in the options selected and it didn't change.  I switched over to a licensed player and they show just fine.  I really don't know what's happening with this disc or how I can help you troubleshoot it.  Especially given that it's working for you.  Is there some setting in MC that I'm missing that needs to be set?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2018, 11:17:25 am »

You can look at a log, it indicates which tracks are being enabled.

There should be entries like this:
Playback: CBDNavDemux::ProcessEvent: PG TextST (1)
Playback: CBDNavDemux::ProcessEvent: PG TextST Stream (7)

Which indicates that PG subtitles are activated, and using stream 7.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #415 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:27 am »

Ok, sorry that took longer than it should have to enable logging.  LOL

Yes, I see PG TextST Stream (7) after it starts processing playlist (800) so it's definitely in the log.  I'm not sure why it's not being displayed then.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: June 20, 2018, 11:37:57 am »

Try RO Std, or resetting madVR settings, or the version to the one we ship if you changed that - newer madVR versions have some issues with overlays.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #417 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:03 am »

Yea something's definitely broken with subs.  I switched to title playback and forced the issue by enabling track 7 and they still don't show so this is NOT a menu issue this is something on my machine failing to show subs.  Sorry for the red herring but thanks for helping me troubleshoot!

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #418 on: June 20, 2018, 11:53:28 am »

You were right.  madvr is the issue.  I'll report it in the madvr thread.  I'm sure madshi's probably aware but never hurts.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:26 pm »

Yeah I told him about that, but he has been busy the last weeks.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »

I know he has.  No rush.  Just wanted to add to his pile.  :D  LOL

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2018, 07:57:38 pm »

Anyone got Batman Begins north America release?  Menu came up blank but I was able to click on play and then it just hangs.  Never plays the main movie.

EDIT:

Stopped and restarted playback and the menu and stuff came up fine.  Played the disc and it selected dolby digital instead of TrueHD.  Switched to title playback at this point and it's playing fine.  Weird.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2018, 08:25:16 pm »

Checked my version (BD from Oz).  There is no Main Menu & main title starts playing.  Popup Menu works fine, though as you said, you need to select the TrueHD Stream as it is the 2nd option.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #423 on: June 29, 2018, 09:32:32 pm »

Yea it does try to start the main movie without a menu.  But the audio track selection is odd.  I'll test it on a licensed player tomorrow and see what it selects.  I do remember this title being strange but it's been a while since I played it last. 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:57 pm »

I even have some UHD where the default track is not the "best" and you have to manually select it.  When playing in Title Mode, LAV has more control and auto picks the "best" track.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2018, 10:12:11 pm »

Yea, that I knew.  Lav is good at prioritizing HD audio.  Why they would master a disc that defaults to lossy when a lossless track exists is beyond me.  In any case, it's not a menu playback issue so nothing to see here.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »

Why they would master a disc that defaults to lossy when a lossless track exists is beyond me.

Simple. They want it to play on the lowest common denominator equipment, which probably means for users that aren't aware of HD audio.

Those aware of HD audio go looking for it, and select the correct track.

I think it might even be a standard that the default track is the most playable track. It was for some disc types in the past I think...
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2018, 08:57:20 am »

It's actually not that simple. The menu is what sets up which tracks are selected.  I've got maybe a handful out of my 800+ discs that default to lossy tracks.  In the case of Batman Begins, as pointed out, there's no menu which might be why it's defaulted to a lossy track.  In the case of DTS-HD MA, where DTS is a core track and the MA is an extension, there's no need to default to anything else because those that can't play the MA extension will default to core.  TrueHD is where it gets trickier, which is what Batman Begins is.  There's no core lossy audio in TrueHD...AC3 is a separate track.  And those are the ones that could be defaulted.  To jmone's point, I never tried to bring up the popup menu to switch the audio track as I didn't think of it at the time.  I instead opted to switch to title playback which LAV then detects the TrueHD track and selects it on its own.  You'd think there'd be some kind of "standard" but blu-ray is quite frankly a mess. 

In any case, the reason for posting it here was in case there was an issue with the menu code.  There is not.  It handles the disc exactly the same as a licensed player which is exactly what I would expect it to do.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2018, 02:06:07 pm »

Simple. They want it to play on the lowest common denominator equipment, which probably means for users that aren't aware of HD audio.

But they don't have to. The Blu-ray Player has the ability to communicate to the menu which audio formats are supported (and we flag all of them as supported). Unfortunately however the menu logic seems to largely ignore that. :(
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2018, 02:16:59 pm »

But they don't have to. The Blu-ray Player has the ability to communicate to the menu which audio formats are supported (and we flag all of them as supported). Unfortunately however the menu logic seems to largely ignore that. :(

I've noticed which sucks.  It's worse on movies that skip menus altogether but even those have logic to select the playlist to play so I don't really get it.  I maintain that MC is doing the right thing with these discs as they act like a commercial player. 

I know what I'd LIKE to have but I also know it's probably not super simple to implement....an option in MC that says "if HD audio exists in the language selected, use that instead of what the crappy/non-existent menu decides to use".  LOL  It would be nice but not going to happen I'm sure.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »

Thanks for the new LAV!  Hope madshi finds some time to fix the off screen text bug soon.  Also while I'm dreaming, it would be nice to have a later nVidia driver that works with custom res switching for my JVC (stuck on 385.28?) for now.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »

Thanks for the new LAV!  Hope madshi finds some time to fix the off screen text bug soon.  Also while I'm dreaming, it would be nice to have a later nVidia driver that works with custom res switching for my JVC (stuck on 385.28?) for now.

BAHAHA, yea, nVidia doesn't seem to be wanting to fix that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up