INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make MC NOT auto-import everything?  (Read 1482 times)

MikeC963

• Recent member
How to make MC NOT auto-import everything?
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:25 am »

I am on the trial period with JRiver. I thought I set up the auto-import to only import from 3 folders on my NAS, but it imported everything on all the computers on my network. Now I have dups of all sorts of images and music since I had several backup folders in different places (some of which I totally forgot were there). It also grabbed all the MP3s from my USB repo that I use for building USB thumb drives for the car. Apparently the 3 folders I set up are just what MC monitors for changes. My question is how do auto-import ONLY those 3 folders.

MikeC963

• Recent member
Re: How to make MC NOT auto-import everything?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:43:55 am »

Not that I should be replying to my own post, but I am thinking this may (must) be my own fault. I think I may have gone too high up in the folder structure. I think I should have gone deeper and specified exactly what I wanted. I guess I will delete my library and try to do another auto-import ... unless there is an easier way?

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:11:36 am »

If you go to the Tools menu, select Options, select Library and Folders you can configure in Auto import what folders to import and what file types.

You can also exclude nested folders if you want to. Its very configurable but might take a bit of trial and error to get what you want. You will find the MC is very quick to import and that deleting and trying again is not a big deal.

Good luck.

MikeC963

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »

Thanks, robt.

So is there any way to tell import not to import a file that has the same  base name as another file. I wanted to import flac .files, but not import the .mp3 versions of the same files. Basically, if I import filenameA.flac, I do not want to import filenameA.mp3.

Another question I had is if I start rearranging folders and files on my NAS, should I just go ahead and delete my current library first and somehow turn off all import stuff? I was thinking I could take those .mp3 files and move them to my USB repo which I will tell auto-import to ignore.

Finally, if I change all of the import rules and then delete my current library, will those import rules still exist or would I need to enter them again before I restart auto-import?

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:53 am »

Ok, I'm not an expert in this but here's my take on your questions.

You can allow Import to find all the available files and then do a bit of sorting and deleting in the "Files" page of audio, I'm not sure you can configure auto import to import some file types and ignore others.

You can place your mp3s in a folder that can be ignored by Import.

Remember, your "Library" is just a database of files, not the files themselves. There are comprehensive tools to edit the library once created and you can create multiple libraries if you wish and load and unload them.

Last question, if you delete the library you can start again with any new rules. Just make sure you dont ask MC to delete the files as well as the library!
Pages: [1]   Go Up