INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 not recognizing music server  (Read 2213 times)

geogil

• Recent member
MC 23 not recognizing music server
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »

Hello,
I am using MC 23 on both a music server and a desktop, both machines run Win 10 64 bit. Everything was working OK, and still is on desktop, but after upgrading to MC 23 64 bit and uninstalling the 32 bit version, the server does not see my Synology NAS. While the 64 bit and 32 bit were still on the machine, for about a week, all was well, however I could not get the 64 bit version to run at start up, even though the option was checked. So, I uninstalled the 32 bit version, thinking it was causing a conflict, and now cannot access music library even though I made the Synology box the default choice: File> Library>Import>Configure Import.... I also tried the "Options menu" > File Location> only servers desktop is available and the NAS does not show up on the Network.
I can ping NAS through cmd prompt, IE and connect to it using Synology Assistant but MC still does not see the NAS. I tried uninstalling 64 bit and reinstalling to no avail.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get this worked out?
Thanks.
George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 23 not recognizing music server
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:03 pm »

Try rebooting everything, including the network.

Windows Defender has caused some problems lately.  Please see the thread on it on this board.

Can you see it in Explorer > Network?

geogil

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
I rebooted all, still nothing. However I can see that the NAS is being accessed, possibly MC scanning for new additions.
No, I cannot see NAS in Explorer. I tried contacting MS but they have not responded.
Thanks again.
George

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:51 am »

Windows Network Discovery has been a pain of late. I have my Workstation set up as a Client of my HTPC, and for some time visibility of the HTPC in Windows Explorer from my Workstation has been quite erratic. No amount of refreshing the Explorer display will make my HTPC show up. I suspect that Microsoft has turned off some of the Network Discovery functions or something, in an attempt to protect us from ourselves, or broken something. Note that my Workstation based MC Client still sees the HTPC MC Server Library no problem, and I can still play media files from the Server on my Client.

My solution is simple. If my HTPC was actually named "HTPC", then entering \\HTPC\ in the Windows Explorer address bar will typically show a drop-down list of shares available. If that didn't work and I knew I had a shared folder called "Music", then I would enter the address \\HTPC\Music\ and Windows Explorer would connect. Once it connects to one share, it seems to show all shares, until I close that Windows Explorer window, when it stops working again.

Not a fix, but an easy workaround. A bit of a pain though. It could be a Firewall setting on my HTPC. Usually if both PCs are told their network connection is a Private network and should be trusted, Network Discovery just works. Not now.

I had to reset the Windows Defender Firewall on my Workstation recently to fix an issue caused by a Windows update. Maybe I need to do that on the HTPC as well. I don't even use the Windows Defender Firewall, but it still broke my Workstation!

PS: You probably had the 32bit version of MC still set to start with Windows. It started first, so the 64bit couldn't start, since a second instance isn't allowed.
PPS: Any network shares on your NAS should still be working, using the above method, or if you have a mapped drive to the NAS.
PPPS: I understand your media files are on the NAS. Where are you library files actually stored? On the C: drive of your PC, usually in "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library", or are they also on the NAS?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

geogil

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:42:52 am »

Hello,
Thanks.
My Library is on the "C"drive and I can get music to play from there. However all the music is stored on the NAS and I cannot access it through the Explorer drop down menu. I don't understand how this works, MC must be using the Library on the "C" drive.
Additionally, in MC 23, when I click on Play List>Smartlist, it has changed from the usual 8 options to about 20 different options, non that I am previously familiar with.
On my desk top, as was the case on the server, the File Location is the NAS and the desktop is working fine.
On the server, I can access the NAS by typing the IP address into the search box, the Synology Assistant, CMD Prompt etc. But, it's still not seen in the Network drop down. Therefore not a visible option for "File Location" options, in MC.

After doing some research I noticed there are multiple complaints regarding this issue and MS has yet to create a fix.

I appreciate the feed back.
All the best.
George

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:34:51 pm »

Hi I recently went through this and found a solution that worked for me.

For me the issue is I had my Synology NAS set as "Master Browser".  But with recent Windows 10 updates the built in "Computer Browser" service on the desktops seemed to interfere with the "Network Neighbourhood".

So I had to "Disable" the "Computer Browser" service on each of the windows 10 computers on my network.  Once I did that I was able to see all of my computers and NAS in network neighbourhood again.

To disable the "Computer Browser" Service.  Go to "Services" (Usually just click on start and start typing "services" till it shows up at the top of the list).   Then go down to "Computer Browser" and set to disabled.  Mine was set to "Manual" and looked like it wasn't even running.  But setting it to disabled resolved the issue.

Hope this helps you.

Carl.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:55:34 pm »

That is a good tip. Something else Microsoft has broken with their updates. The Computer Browser service is supposed to make it easier to see computers on your network.

Unfortunately the Computer Browser service was running on my PC. It was set to Manual start but had been triggered by something. I'll have to wait until I can reboot to see if Disabling it fix my issue.

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to do some research on what Microsoft is doing about this.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 04:09:17 pm »

Keep in mind.  If you have more than one computer plus your NAS on your network as I did.  You have to disable "Computer Browser" on all of them to fix the issue.

Carl

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 04:09:43 pm »

this is truly a great tip....do you think this issue is confined to W10 only?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:14 pm »

Thanks jctcom. I shall kill them all and see if my issue is fixed. The trouble is that my Android phone may also have something similar which will trigger that issue. I don't know yet.

The Computer Browser service has been part of Windows for a long time. The concept of a Master Browser, sometimes assigned automatically on my network to a totally inappropriate PC, has been a pain for some time.

~OM~, I would be surprised if this issue wasn't Windows 10 only, but I guess Microsoft may have tried to apply a similar update bug to Windows 7/8/8.1.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 04:49:25 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up