INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion: Replace original file…  (Read 1414 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Conversion: Replace original file…
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:57:27 pm »

It's rare that I ever want to replace files on disk during a conversion due to the inherent risk, but I just did this by accident.
The option deletes files without asking for confirmation, rather than recycling files.
Fortunately, this was a lossless conversion (WAV to FLAC).

Please change this behavior.

MusicHawk

Re: Conversion: Replace original file…
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:30:12 pm »

Are you doing this:
1. Select WAV file
2. Select Convert Format...
3. Select FLAC Encoder
4. (skipped)
5. Click button Convert

If so, add a step:
1. Select WAV file
2. Select Convert Format... (usually available via right-click)
3. Select FLAC Encoder
4. Click Options > "Leave original file, add destination file to library"
5. Click button Convert

You'll end up with two files with the same name but different extensions/types, the original WAV, and a new FLAC. After you are comfortable that the FLAC and WAV are 100% identical lossless audio (as they should be), you can delete the WAV.

If this is how you want to handle most file Convert actions, just select the desired Options once; MC will remember. For future tracks, you'll find FLAC is already selected, and so are the Options, so you can just click button Convert.

This is how my MC is set (has been for years) because it is safe and quick. Converting WAV to FLAC is a one click action. It is possible to select a batch of WAV files, click once, and they will all be converted.

However, there are other ways to get to the same result in case other factors are involved.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

RD James

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:28:33 pm »

Yes, I had converted WAV to FLAC using the "replace original file" option - which I do not normally use.
I know that there are options which will preserve the original file rather than deleting it.

My concern is that this option permanently deletes the original file from the disk without asking the user to confirm the action, instead of sending it to the recycle bin.
Starting the conversion should either prompt the user to confirm this action, or it would preferably send files to the recycle bin when they are removed, making it possible to undo this action if you made a mistake with the conversion options.

The only reason I can think of that someone would want to permanently delete a file upon conversion is if they don't have enough free space on the disk otherwise.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:54:19 pm »

I agree the recycle bin should be the default, luckily I've only lost two files ever to this feature (had DSP accidentally selected when I didn't want it) and I just re-ripped that CD single, but if it had been a download from, say, HDTracks, or anywhere else where I can't easily re-download the originals, it would have been a much bigger deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up