INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails - ? / chars in Album Name problem  (Read 2076 times)

gkerber

Thumbnails - ? / chars in Album Name problem
« on: June 17, 2003, 11:50:57 am »

If an album name has a ? or a / in the name, a thumbnail cannot be set against the Albums.

I had "Are You Passionate?" as the album name, could not set a thumbnail for the album cover.  Couldn't do it for "Freedom / Ragged Glory" either.  All my other Neil Young albums worked....

So I removed the ? and the - from the album names -> works now.

Sounds like a bug to me, but that's a hard to bug to do by accident, so maybe there is some need for the restriction?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Thumbnails - ? / chars in Album Name problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 03:16:12 pm »

>> If an album name has a ? or a / in the name
there are about 6 others also

when my program saves cover art it takes the album name and filters the bad chrs out.

>> so maybe there is some need for the restriction?
you can not save some chrs as file names
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:20:09 pm »

Is this just when searching for cover art or actaully assigning it?  I have tracks containg ?s which have cover art but I cannot remember whether I used MC to find it or found it from somewhere else.  It was a while back now...I will do a test and see what happens.

Adam

EDIT: Ignore me...just realised this was for album names containg ?s and not track names ;D
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:37:11 pm »

>> If an album name has a ? or a / in the name
there are about 6 others also

when my program saves cover art it takes the album name and filters the bad chrs out.

>> so maybe there is some need for the restriction?
you can not save some chrs as file names

Maybe there is some need, since I think it would be hard for this to be a random bug.  If there is a restriction on album name chars, then at least we should get an error message about WHY the album cover was rejected, rather than just ignoring my attempts.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 06:56:15 pm »

How hard would it be to have MC auto replace the offending characters with acceptable characters ...

For example

Limp Bizkit - My Generation/Rollin'
would automatically become
Limp Bizkit - My Generation_Rollin'

The program automatically replaces the characters during searches for Cover Art also ... this shouldn't be too hard, should it?

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 06:28:33 am »

It already does replace special chars when renameing files.  If there is a * in the track name I see it's replaced with an underscore _ in the resulting filename.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 07:10:29 am »

It already does replace special chars when renameing files.  If there is a * in the track name I see it's replaced with an underscore _ in the resulting filename.

So, this just needs to be expanded to include all illegal characters.

Thanks for the information!

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 08:49:40 am »

The problem was that I was trying to set a thumbnail for an album and the bad chars in the album name triggered some code in MC to not allow it to happen.  I figured out it was the chars in the album name by testing (as a developer myself, I always think of bad chars as a possible source of trouble).

My main issue is that MC simply does not set the thumbnail on error, but doesn't tell me why it ignored my request.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 09:17:24 am »

The problem was that I was trying to set a thumbnail for an album and the bad chars in the album name triggered some code in MC to not allow it to happen.  I figured out it was the chars in the album name by testing (as a developer myself, I always think of bad chars as a possible source of trouble).

My main issue is that MC simply does not set the thumbnail on error, but doesn't tell me why it ignored my request.

Understood, but wouldn't it be better if MC internally handled this problem so that anytime an Album name contains illegal characters, they are automatically replaced with _?

That would allow MC to continue to work without requiring the user to "doctor" their files. An error message would be nice, but preventing the error would be nicer IMO.

gkerber

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 09:22:14 am »

Understood, but wouldn't it be better if MC internally handled this problem so that anytime an Album name contains illegal characters, they are automatically replaced with _?

That would allow MC to continue to work without requiring the user to "doctor" their files. An error message would be nice, but preventing the error would be nicer IMO.

Yes and no.  Replace the bad chars with a _ when?  When I enter it, and then the display is not what I entered?  That could be confusing to a novice too.  This is a hard one, the only thing I know for sure is that the current method of just not doing what I ask is not good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up