INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server/Client sound question  (Read 903 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Server/Client sound question
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:10 pm »

Being a bit of a purist, I have always played my music through MC on a separate computer (separate library, separate external hard drive) that is not connected to the internet (either via wireless or cable). That computer is my living room hifi; it is not connected to the outside/cyber world with all of its interferences (e.g. Windows updates). Now I am considering switching to a client/server set-up and having only the one library.
So, here's my question: are there likely to be any sound compromises when using a client/server set-up on a wired network vis-a-vis a separate, discrete, unconnected PC? Hope this is not a stupid question...LOL!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server/Client sound question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:43:55 pm »

Won't make a difference. Anyone that tells you otherwise is misinformed or lying about how computers and audio hardware works.
There are too many companies willing to sell you snake oil for a lot of money that will try and convince you otherwise though.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server/Client sound question
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »

It is possible to have occasional hiccups especially on high rez files if there are any delays from the disks or in the network. This can sometimes happen with usb disks on the server or if the server is getting files from NAS.  Sounds like your system is probably fine,  but it is something worth being aware of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up