INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy way to move file locations in MC?  (Read 1114 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Easy way to move file locations in MC?
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:53:42 pm »

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions;

1) When a HDD needs to be replaced with a bigger one and windows renames the drive letter of the new HDD and/or sometimes other HDD's is there a painless/bulk way to rename all the file paths in MC? Eg the HDD letter preface.
2) If I move a single file from one HDD to another does re-importing it using the shell extension sufficient for MC to record its new location?

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Easy way to move file locations in MC?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:07 am »

1) in the RMC (rename, move, copy) tool, you can

copy and update to new location
or just update to new location

change the drive letter.  try a few first to make sure it's doing what you want then do all of them at once

2) yes.  i like to drag into the MC window which also works

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:01:03 am »

Yes 2) works, but you don't want to be reimporting files that are already in your perfectly good Library. You could actually lose some information if settings aren't right. Re-importing is almost never the right idea.

Do 1), either by;

a) If you have copied everything from the original drive to the new drive, pulled the old drive out of the PC and put the new drive in its place, just make sure Windows gives the same drive letter to the new drive as the old drive had. The library will work without change. Make sure MC is shut down while you do this. Google changing drive letters in Windows.
b) Similar thing if these are USB drives. Copy from Old to New, remove Old, change the drive letter of the new USB drive to what the old USB drive was. The library will work without change.
c) If you are adding a drive, let's say the old drive was D: and the new is F:, use the "Find & Replace" function of the Rename, Move, and Copy Files function to simply replace all instances of D: in the Library with F:. Read the Wiki article carefully.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rec head

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:29:33 am »

If you use the Move, Rename, Copy function be sure to test with a small number of files at first.

When I moved a lot of files a few months ago I had a panic because it didn't really look like anything was happening. Its not like a file manager that keeps showing the files being moved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up