INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the difference between attack and hold in the Adaptive Limiter?  (Read 1182 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I can't find anything that explains exactly how the limiter is implemented, the main thread on the subject appears to be https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69319.0

I am somewhat familiar with how a limiter operates so I would think that attack controls how quickly the signal is clamped to the limit, a short attack will make for a waveform that is closer to the clipping case as opposed to a waveform with a curvier/softer shape. This would mean attack controls how far ahead the limiter must be reading the signal. Similarly release controls how it lets go of the limit. If this is correct then what does hold do?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: What is the difference between attack and hold in the Adaptive Limiter?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:24 pm »

Typically, attack is how fast it will clamp (as you said), hold is how long it will hold the reduced volume, and release is how long it takes to go back to normal levels after the hold time, assuming it is below the threshold.

That's my best guess.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:52 pm »

I don't think I understand the point of hold, isn't that defined by the signal itself?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:14:25 pm »

No idea, I'm not even 100% sure I am right on what it is.  Most limiters I have used in the past don't have a hold.
Pages: [1]   Go Up