INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Filters...  (Read 6315 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Adding Filters...
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:47:50 pm »

Hi everyone,

There was a recent discussion on this forum about DSP Studio filters.

It got us wondering if there are other filters that we could add to Parametric Equalizer that might be nice?

Is there anything you've been dreaming of doing or trying, but just couldn't because we don't have the right filter?

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Adding Filters...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:13:14 pm »

I think most of these are still valid - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99096.msg685880.html#msg685880

the linked thread has the descriptions and reasons why they are useful

The requests that are specifically PEQ filter requests are;

- selectable HP/LP filter types & slopes
- all pass filter
- advanced biquad (i.e. enter biquads directly)
- change the shelf option to actually be Q rather than being S (and allow larger values)

and the PEQ usability change is;

- export/import PEQ filter banks from/to a defined text format

The other things in that thread would still be useful mind you such as ability to rename channels & break apart mix target from output format.

Thanks for asking!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:36:05 pm »

Lab Gruppen products with Lake Processing use Raised Cosine Filters. These would be a nice addition to JRiver.

Raised Cosine Equalization AES Convention Paper

Lake Processing – Raised Cosine Equalization in Detail (in German)

Raised Cosine Filter Specifications

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »

The HP and LP does offer selection of the slope.  It can be 6, 12, 24, 36, or 48 dB/octave.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »

The HP and LP does offer selection of the slope.  It can be 6, 12, 24, 36, or 48 dB/octave.
the Linkwitz-Riley one does not so I was just trying to make clear that my preference would be a single filter type (high/low pass filter) in which one can choose

- type
- frequency
- slope/order

Bccc1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:29 pm »

I completly agree with everything mattkhan said.
Also, thank you mojave, I didn't know about Raised Cosine Filters and they are looking awesome! I would really like to see them implemented.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »

google translates that german link (re raised cosines) nicely, this would make a nice addition for sure

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 06:25:13 am »

Matt, we still wish for upsampling filters.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113602.0.html
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:07:32 pm »

I think most of these are still valid - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99096.msg685880.html#msg685880

the linked thread has the descriptions and reasons why they are useful

The requests that are specifically PEQ filter requests are;

- all pass filter
- advanced biquad (i.e. enter biquads directly)
- change the shelf option to actually be Q rather than being S (and allow larger values)

and the PEQ usability change is;

- export/import PEQ filter banks from/to a defined text format

The other things in that thread would still be useful mind you such as ability to rename channels & break apart mix target from output format.

Thanks for asking!

I agree with all of this 100%.  If I had to pick two, (1) an exportable and importable text format and (2) selectable crossover types (not just slopes) would be my priorities, with Biquads a close 3rd place.

Bccc1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 08:34:29 am »

If I had to pick two, (1) an exportable and importable text format [...]

Just for your information, the zones and the according parametric eqs are stored in the registry and can be edited there. "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 23\Zones\10014\Parametric Equalizer\Filters" contains an xml representation of the filters. The folder 10014 is one of my zones. It contains the key "Player Zone Name" which helps identifiying the zones.
So there kind of already is an import/export option, it's just a usability nightmare. That's why I personally would prioritize the other features mentioned by mattkhan.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 08:47:10 am »

Just for your information, the zones and the according parametric eqs are stored in the registry and can be edited there. "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 23\Zones\10014\Parametric Equalizer\Filters" contains an xml representation of the filters. The folder 10014 is one of my zones. It contains the key "Player Zone Name" which helps identifiying the zones.
So there kind of already is an import/export option, it's just a usability nightmare. That's why I personally would prioritize the other features mentioned by mattkhan.
you can also find that content in the library backups (look for Settings/User Settings.ini), not really any user friendlier though. My personal preference would be one or more of; a simple text format so one could write PEQ config by hand easily, the format REW & rePhase use to talk to each other (which is xml based) as this would allow one to port things easily between REW/rePhase/MC

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:49:51 am »

Agree, we had many +1s on minimum phase and slow roll off, but I don't know why this has been refused. I would really like it.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000

RD James

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:39:43 am »

Agree, we had many +1s on minimum phase and slow roll off, but I don't know why this has been refused. I would really like it.
"Please spend your limited development resources on implementing objectively worse filters so I can play around with them for a bit, because some companies are still trying to market this to audiophiles based on theoretical tests using invalid signals."

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »

Well it does not matter now, we can always do offline upsampling and waste more space with the upsampled files, so that JRiver can focus on the really important features such as these below:

Blu-ray Menus

UHD Blu-ray Title Playback

ZoneSync -- it works!

Zone Groups -- similar to Playlist Groups

TV Post-Process Command -- Executes a Command after recording

gvl

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »

Matt, we still wish for upsampling filters.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113602.0.html

+1, with the improved availability of excellent high-speed multi-bit DACs that run or can run as NOS, such as those from Metrum Acoustics, Soekris, and others, we need more upsampling interpolating filter options. I came across a couple of abrupt refusals here to integrate with the HQ player which I can understand but also find unfortunate as currently JRiver offers very limited options in this area.

gvl

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 06:11:21 pm »

"Please spend your limited development resources on implementing objectively worse filters so I can play around with them for a bit, because some companies are still trying to market this to audiophiles based on theoretical tests using invalid signals."

FWIW, I do find HQ Player upsampling filters sound better than what is in JRiver. I couldn't care less if they are objectively worse (which they may be not) as long as my ears are happy, and yes I like to tinker with the settings, there is nothing wrong with it. If HQ Player had an equivalent WDM driver feature I'd switch in a hearbeat.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 09:48:09 am »

Maybe a tube preamp simulation?

I mean, what's not to like about tubes ;) ?

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »

Biquad would be nice so I could get rid my minidsp unit and filters used there (from multisub optimizer and xover)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:13 am »

I would love to have a graphical representation on the PEQ.  So we can actually see all the PEQ filters in one graph.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 01:53:52 pm »

FabFilter can do this nicely inside JRiver as a VST plugin.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »

I might be a little late, but besides everything mattkhan, I would love to see an all-pass filter implemented.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:22 pm »

An all pass filter is important because it allows the splitting of bands that sum back to flat. Without an all pass filter, this cannot be done for more than 2 bands because of phase rotations that cause a frequency response change.

stevo1212

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 02:04:59 am »

How about a way to incorporate a channelized plug in.  I like fab filter and it works but it isn't within the peq window so there is only 1 instance available.  This would allow linear phase and a full easy graphic representation.  Alternatively allow adding more instances of a 3rd party plug in and more instances of parametric eq so that with the routing and swapping each instance could be applied to a different stereo output allowing linear phase active crossovers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up