INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware acceleration options  (Read 2606 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Hardware acceleration options
« on: March 03, 2018, 03:27:28 am »

What is the difference between
Options->Video Card->Hardware accelerated graphics
and
Options->Video->General Video settings->Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible
?

What are the effects of those options on video playback with RedOctober Standard vs. Red October HQ?

Thank you.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Hardware acceleration options
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:31:07 am »

The first option has no impact on video playback, it only affects some 3D visualizations, and could probably also be removed now, the things it changes were mostly effective for much older hardware, not todays hardware.

The second option enables hardware accelerated video decoding, which uses your graphics card to decode the video.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:39:34 am »

Thanks Hendrik.

As far as I understand Red October HQ already occupies the GPU quite heavily. So does hardware acceleration make a difference with using madVR?
Does "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" have an effect on the LAV setting "Hardware Acceleration" or vice versa?

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:21:56 pm »

Very good questions... Is MADVR still recommended vs Red October Standard (LAV)? To be honest with my 70" TV and NVIDIA 1050ti I can't really tell the difference in quality. Sometimes even on my older PC gear ROHQ was performing better than standard and in some other cases ROSQ was smoother/better...Only noticeable really when watching a Hockey Game (or other sports events)....

And what about VideoClock? I've been toggling all these settings on and off in the last months (years) to try to get rid of a very faint stutter every 30 seconds or so on all my 3 PCs...
But this have been fading away (kind of...) in the last few builds...Honestly I'm not sure but it definitely got better!

Getting recommended settings for different hardware would greatly help.
I did follow older posts on recommended MADVR settings for JRiver but not sure they gave me optimal results...And I did spend hours on this...

If options have become useless maybe they should be taken out?

Thx folks.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:30:41 am »

Please use a separate thread for videoclock topics and recommendation requests.
Pages: [1]   Go Up