INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential Problem With New Media Library...  (Read 1236 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Potential Problem With New Media Library...
« on: June 17, 2003, 02:21:09 pm »

...and "Drag-Editting" file tags.

<cross posted from the bug thread for 9.1.200>

Let's say I have a file... Rush - The Rhythm Method and it's in the Genre : Drum Solo. Now lets say that I want to drag that to Genre : Rock, and I want it to go into Album "A Show Of Hands". If I'm in the View Scheme Genre\Artist\Album, and I've chosen Drum Solo as my Genre to help me find this file, then I'm stuck. I can't just drag it to the Genre of Rock, and into the Album of "A Show Of Hands" because no other files in that album belong to genre Drum Solo. Therefore that album isn't even listed. I have to click on a different genre to get that album to show up again, and at that point, I've lost the file I had selected.

So here are a couple of solutions I've figured out. The first is the easy way, but it may introduce other ease-of-use problems, and isn't as powerful as the second.

1. Simply leave the currently selected file as the currently selected file and make sure that the track pane is scrolled to show it.

2. Make it so that when you drag a file from the track view to a node in the View Scheme (or even into another View Scheme entirely), MC acts as though that value were selected and updates the other panes accordingly. This way if I dragged a file from the Drum Solo genre up the Genre pane, and onto Rock, the Artist pane would update to show the artists that are in genre Rock, then if I dragged that file over to Rush, the Album pane would update to show all of the Rush albums that had files of genre Rock. Then I could let go and the file would be dropped into that node.

Optionally, MC could then snap back to where it was before, or stay in the newly selected Genre\Artist\Album.

What do you all think?

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Potential Problem With New Media Library...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 02:35:48 pm »

Isn't this problem alleviated by simply control clicking on your two genres in the first pane?

Then you have albums from both genres available from the outset ... no trickery involved.

Or perhaps I misunderstood your post  ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 02:45:28 pm »

Well...  Yeah, that would work, I guess, although you're still only assigning one property that way. Album. The way I envisioned this working was that it would assign multiple properties all at once... Genre, Artist, and Album (in my example above - although only Genre and Album would actually be changed). I'm pretty sure this was possible with the Tree before.

Plus that method would require you to have thought ahead of time about what you wanted to do. What I'm getting at would allow a more spontaneous assignment.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 02:55:00 pm »

I understand more clearly now ... didn't realize that all the properties were getting changed in your example. Misinterpreted it to mean that only the album was being changed.

Sorry for the misuncerstanding :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up