INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording repeats  (Read 1731 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
recording repeats
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:15:53 pm »

hi all just notice this issue i'm having now recording a show.

try to explain it bear with me lol....

there's a show which airs 7pm to 8pm, then its repeated the next morning at 11am to 12pm

jriver records the main program episodes 7p to 8pm ( these are the main episodes ie not repeats) and then records the repeats next morning grr

i have epg with episodes numbers season numbers etc original air date epg is from schedules direct.. my recording folder for jriver is C:\jriver.... i also use this tag to move the file into a folder where my tv shows are kept ....E:\TV Recordings\[Series]\Season [Season]\  so after the recording it moves said recording to the tag place and there is no file left in the jriver recording folder C:\jriver.... but still records the same episodes repeated the next day.

i ask  sometime last week ish in this https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114367.0.html about history of recordings ie does jriver look for the file in the recording folder to make sure not to record said show again ..

Is it Because i'm using this tag it breaks the do not record episodes i already recorded?

many thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: recording repeats grrr
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:42:38 pm »

Did you check the checkbox "Don't record programs that have been recorded in the past"?

When you asked whether MC kept records of deleted shows, the answer was yes.  I would add that all of that history is kept in the database and has nothing to do with the folder in which the recordings are kept. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: recording repeats
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:25 pm »

Yes That box is tick to prevent repeat recordings ... going to test later if it has something to do with that tag i'm using where its moving the file .. i will remove tag and see if repeats still exists tomorrow ...

Yeah you did say that yaobing , thats why i ask about the file in recording folder good to know thats not the issue when file is moved by the tag rule... so looks like ie the tag is broken the "Don't record programs that have been recorded in the past" or somethink else is wrong any how i try with out this tag and report back tomorrow sometime

thanks for the reply

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:08 pm »

Was the original recording already deleted when the repeat was recorded?  If so, how did you delete the recording?  When deleting a file, the confirmation box has a checkbox.  Make sure you do not check the checkbox.

Do the original show and the repeat show have identical name, series name, description, etc.?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »

The tag rule done that ie moved the file from the recorded folder to the rule folder when the recording is done , no manual delete going on here...

out of interest does that rule delete the info in the database ie that its been recorded when the rule gets activated

the repeats are the same as the first aired episodes ie title of episode ,episode number, season number and description all info to avoid repeats what jriver needs.

thanks for the reply

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:06 pm »

going to test later if it has something to do with that tag i'm using where its moving the file .. i will remove tag and see if repeats still exists tomorrow ...

Don't bother doing this test. It has nothing to do with the problem you are seeing.

As you have the "Don't record programs that have been recorded in the past" boxed ticked the problem will be a combination of the data in your EPG and the fields you have selected to work out if a program is a repeat.

The issue with the EPG is that (at least in Australia) the repeat programs often do not have the same EPG data as the original broadcast. This is particularly a problem for news and current affair programs, where usually there is only name data and no series data, or much else to differentiate the broadcasts. For those I use the "One per day, near xx:xx a/pm" setting and set the Anchor Time to the start time of the program.

But I also see lots of programs where the original broadcast includes Series name, Season number, and Episode name and number data for the original broadcast, and then just the Series name for the repeat broadcast. In those cases MC just can't work out if the second broadcast is a repeat or not.

The other issue is the fields you have selected for the "Compare fields" when using the "Don't record programs that have been recorded in the past" setting. I set mine to just the "Name and Series name" as again, often the second broadcast has a very slightly different Description. Maybe they even add "Repeat" to the beginning of the description. So if Description is included in the "Compare fields" MC will note that the second broadcast has a different Description and record it, as it is not an exact repeat. For the same reasons as mentioned above, I don't include the "Season number" or "Episode number" in the "Compare fields", as they are often missing for the repeat broadcast.

Now, your situation may be somewhat different, as in Australia our broadcasters deliberately try to obfuscate that a program is a repeat, and will use any tricks to try to get us to watch something we have already watched before. I think they reckon once we have started watching we will watch the whole thing again anyway, or at least see the adds at the beginning before we work out it is a repeat and change channels.

So set up a View for you EPG data (Set rules for display to "Limit database to"  "Television Guide", and make sure "Use parent scheme rules for file display" is unticked) and compare the different broadcasts for the critical fields; [Name], [Series], [Season], [Episode], [Description], and see if they are identical or slightly different. Adjust the "Compare fields" to work better, if possible.

EDIT: I see Yaobing is on the same track as me.

out of interest does that rule delete the info in the database ie that its been recorded when the rule gets activated

No.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:52 am »

Well i manage to do some testings uk tv is crap for the repeats easy to find a show which is repeated over and over lol...

well here is my testing, so the show i was recording was hustle in jriver info screen where you select watch record etc under genre is other under keyword's its series and drama (i know this is to do with epg ... so it again recorded the repeats all so i set up a family guy recordings which also repeats but here the thing it dectected the repeat and didnt record it but i notice in the info screen where the hustle had other famiy guy had comedy short version is after few shows i found repeats with genre other they all recorded their repeats so seems that genre setting is playing jriver up...six shows that have other in genre always record repeats the shows that have a genre name ie comedy,action etc all miss their repeats , while i was look around in jriver search tv guide in genre i notice that there is no movie genre in list tried schedules direct and digiguide all have this genre....

many thanks for the help but im going to give up lol

anyhow many thanks for the help have a good day and weekend

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:34:27 am »

No, genre does not affect how repeat shows are recorded.

In subscription recording setup, you check "Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past".  After checking that box, the drop-down list below is enabled - "Compare Fields".  There are five items in that drop-down list - Name, Series Name, Description, Season number, and Episode number.  You can select one or more items there.  The fewer item you select (for example you only select "Name"), the less likely you will get repeat recording, but the more likely you will miss recordings.  On the other hand, the more items you select, the more chances you will get repeat recordings and less chance to miss a recording.

So you will have to make a decision on how many items you want to select, based on how your EPG entries are populated.

Please take a look of the shows that you have repeats recorded, and check those five fields (Name, Series Name, Description, Season Number, and Episode Number) and see if the original show and the repeat show have identical values or not.  Check carefully, especially the "Description" field.  Often a repeat show gets a simplified Description.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:01 am »

By the way, because we display text in large fonts in Theater view, we can't display all info on screen there.  It is therefore easier for you to do the comparison that I asked you to do in Standard View.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:58 am »

hi thanks for the reply but ive already did state that every repeats in tv of the main show are the same ie episode name season number and episode numberie s01e01 and the same word for word discription ie all info your program needs to not record repeats

but thanks for the reply
Pages: [1]   Go Up