INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless Play  (Read 6045 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Gapless Play
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »

I am trying to configure MC 22 for gapless play when linked to a DLNA device in this case a Sony Media Player.  The option of "gapless play" does not show up where I saw it in other screen shots and how-to explanations.  These two pics show the two different places i looked.  Any advice appreciated. 

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gapless Play
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:00:31 am »

Enable SetNext support. On your second screenshot.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:09 am »

Enable SetNext support. On your second screenshot.

Thanks Andrew but I am confused because the option says "disable setnext support" and it is unchecked.   Please clarify for me.

Thanks!

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:43:58 am »

Thanks Andrew but I am confused because the option says "disable setnext support" and it is unchecked.   Please clarify for me.

Thanks!
In my own experience, enable that option will disable gapless playback.
Nelson

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »

The Sony Media Player advertizes support for gapless playback and provides the routines for it but unfortunately it doesn't implement it properly (it closes the audio device between tracks leading to a small gap).

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »

The Sony Media Player advertizes support for gapless playback and provides the routines for it but unfortunately it doesn't implement it properly (it closes the audio device between tracks leading to a small gap).

OK - thx.  For whatever reason MC21 seemed fine and maybe it was just dumb luck that some background config setting was helping it out.  But, it now acts like you describe seemingly turning off sometimes for up to 20 seconds before playing the next track. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »

Did you try setting this?

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:11 pm »

Did you try setting this?

No - never got a response from Andrew to clarify and based on another comment concluded it was correct being left unchecked.  I should have experimented but have been practicing my Zen Buddhism detachment and living with the long gaps until the bob comment and now yours.   

My bad because at least for a couple songs with the Disable SetNext Support checked the gap was a minimal 1-4 seconds and I think most of that was because of the song's long fade-in and fade-out.  Thanks for asking!!  It seems to be fixed.  A major annoyance gone and so simple.  Much appreciate everyone's assistance. 

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:49 am »

should not gapless play with this configuration?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:30:38 pm »

That configuration relates to playing gapless directly from the PCs audio output or via USB to a DAC. The thread above relates to playing gapless to a UPnP / DLNA device.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 03:23:03 pm »

No - never got a response from Andrew to clarify and based on another comment concluded it was correct being left unchecked.  I should have experimented but have been practicing my Zen Buddhism detachment and living with the long gaps until the bob comment and now yours.   

My bad because at least for a couple songs with the Disable SetNext Support checked the gap was a minimal 1-4 seconds and I think most of that was because of the song's long fade-in and fade-out.  Thanks for asking!!  It seems to be fixed.  A major annoyance gone and so simple.  Much appreciate everyone's assistance.
It it works with the Disable SetNext support disabled, that means the device advertises setNext support but doesn't implement it properly.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »

That configuration relates to playing gapless directly from the PCs audio output or via USB to a DAC. The thread above relates to playing gapless to a UPnP / DLNA device.

I think I understand.

I do want to send the signal via DLNA. So is that why it's not working? I must disable setnex?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:56 pm »

I think I understand.

I do want to send the signal via DLNA. So is that why it's not working? I must disable setnex?
Yes, it seems your device has incomplete support for gapless playback over DLNA.
A short gap is normal between tracks. You should NOT have a big delay (more than a couple of seconds).
If your device supported setNext properly you could get completely gapless playback between tracks (if of course the tracks were gapless to begin with).

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »

Well, I'm flummoxed.  I am playing via DLNA to a Yamaha RX-A2020, which the specs say does not support gapless.  In every other respect, it sounds great, but the gaps between tunes which should flow together (e.g., Slipknot>Franklin's Tower on Blues for Allah) are annoying as hell.  I assumed that the limitation was in the receiver so I've just put up with it.   Recently, I've been farting around with Foobar2000 just out of curiosity, and guess what?  With the proper configuration ('Enable gapless controller') it works fine.  Why would one player behave differently than another if the limitation is the receiver?   Some sort of buffering?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:18 am »

Well, I'm flummoxed.  I am playing via DLNA to a Yamaha RX-A2020, which the specs say does not support gapless.  In every other respect, it sounds great, but the gaps between tunes which should flow together (e.g., Slipknot>Franklin's Tower on Blues for Allah) are annoying as hell.  I assumed that the limitation was in the receiver so I've just put up with it.   Recently, I've been farting around with Foobar2000 just out of curiosity, and guess what?  With the proper configuration ('Enable gapless controller') it works fine.  Why would one player behave differently than another if the limitation is the receiver?   Some sort of buffering?
There is a kind of generic way around the gapless issue for devices that don't support setNext that we are working on implementing.
It involves sending the entire playlist as a single stream.
This does come with some caveats. For example, meta data can only be sent for the beginning of the stream and there are limited formats which will work as a stream.
Still however, it will fix the issue and metadata isn't very important on a lot of receivers and nearly all DACs.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »

There is a kind of generic way around the gapless issue for devices that don't support setNext that we are working on implementing.
This does come with some caveats. For example, meta data can only be sent for the beginning of the stream and there are limited formats which will work as a stream.
Still however, it will fix the issue and metadata isn't very important on a lot of receivers and nearly all DACs.

Cool.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks for the response.

ilikemusic

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 02:20:07 am »

I received an email about the upcoming MC24. I would like to know if MC24 supports sending the entire playlist as a single stream please (i.e. gapless playback for devices that do not support SetNextAVTransportURI). I have got an Oppo with an Aria music server. This "Ariakit" supports gapless playback, but development of the software has been abandoned. I connected the Oppo and a computer to the same LAN. Flac files are stored on the computer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up