INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater mode support for regular old keyboards  (Read 1410 times)

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
Theater mode support for regular old keyboards
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:45 pm »

I was hoping that an option would be added in theater mode to use a regular keyboard (I use one both wireless and wired [latter with a super long extension cord]). And while I can type in letters just fine, the number keys do work correctly as I get letters instead. I understand the theater mode was designed with a remote controller in mind, but I cannot stand those, and the jremote phone app touch screen is rather difficult to use for me.

Honestly, I don't care about the blu-ray menu support for jriver 24. I use external programs like PowerDVD and VLC most of the time for my videos. But can we just get the regular old keyboard functionality in theater mode as an option, please?

ECS

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater mode support for regular old keyboards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »

I think you've found a bug.  I see the same problem in the search.  Do you see it anywhere else?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53:44 pm »

No, it's not a bug.  It was done so that you could spell with a remote control.  Think of how your phone could do that.  1 is ABC, is DEF, and so on.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »

We're going to try this little tweak next build:
Changed: If you hold the Windows key down when entering numbers on the number pad in Theater View it will enter the number instead of typing like a phone.

That way there's at least a way out of it typing like a phone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:29:52 pm »

We're going to try this little tweak next build:
Changed: If you hold the Windows key down when entering numbers on the number pad in Theater View it will enter the number instead of typing like a phone.

That way there's at least a way out of it typing like a phone.
Just keep in mind that "regular OLD keyboards" (emphasis mine) don't have a Windows key. ;)

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:30 pm »

Oops, forgot about this thread for a while as I've been busy (re-)learning the ropes of some other software (directory opus)!

Actually, even that key combination would be quite good enough I believe.  ;D

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:27:42 pm »

No, it's not a bug.  It was done so that you could spell with a remote control.  Think of how your phone could do that.  1 is ABC, is DEF, and so on.

yep. should be feature request.

although, correct me if I'm wrong here, but when you use the jremote in some views (e.g. entering password for different user in theater mode) you aren't presented with the 123 buttons with their alternative letters on your smart phone. You have to enter the 'numbers' tab or 'letters' tab each time which slows things down quite considerably -- that is, if you use a lot of letters with numbers in lieu of vowels etc. Eh, but I probably would just altogether skip anything with special symbols and characters in it as that would just have you navigate to another tab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up