INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random smartlists  (Read 1429 times)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Random smartlists
« on: June 15, 2003, 08:21:15 pm »

My random smartlists don't seem so random.

Here is an example of my smartlist: [media type]=[audio] ~t=120 ~sort=random -[Filename]=:// [Genre]=[Rock]

Most of my 1,200+ collection is tagged "Rock."  In the resulting list it seems I always have back-to-back entries of the same artist or same album.  For example, in the smartlist results that just came up songs 2 & 3 are by "Live" from the same album even though I only have 2 albums in my collection by that group.  4 songs are by Bruce Springsteen and 2 are back-to-back from his "Greatest Hits" album.  Likewise I have 2 songs appearing back-to-back from the same Dave Matthews Band album.  All this in a supposedly random selection of 25 songs from a 1,200+ database.  And I have very few songs by those same artists.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  I can live with one artists appearing multiple times in a 2 hours smartlist, but I at least wish they weren't back-to-back.  Is this just the luck of the draw?

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re: Random smartlists
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 09:27:30 pm »

Are they still that way when they get to "Now Playing"?  I think that it gets randomized when it gets added...

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 10:19:37 pm »

You're not alone - I've noticed similar behaviour.  Even with almost 6000 tracks to choose from, any "random" smartlist always seems to contain back-to-back selections.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 12:23:32 am »

Yeah Ive noticed this too.  Would be nice if we could have an option to limit to no more than n tracks from  the same artist or album...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Cindy_B

• Recent member
  • I love my Media Center!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 04:33:59 pm »

Yeah Ive noticed this too.  Would be nice if we could have an option to limit to no more than n tracks from  the same artist or album...

Adam

An option to limit tracks is a great idea.
I thought "Nodup" was going to give us the capability to have one song per artist, but I can't seem to get that to work. It removes all the artist with multiple tracks.
I would like to have a true random smartlist that would randomly pick one track from every artist.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up