INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Date Tagged] Field  (Read 2036 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[Date Tagged] Field
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:24:02 pm »

I'd really like a [Date Tagged] field in MC which fills with the current date each time a file is tagged. For a number of my tagging and organizing workflows, there are multiple steps required. For example, I set tags on files and get them "in order" and then I come back and do RMCF on them to move them to the long-term storage location, and then often do some final cleanup and tagging on them after they've moved (most often, Update Tags from Library).

When I do the tagging, I'm often working from a View filtered to show only "new, untagged" files. But if I don't do the stuff all in one step, it is difficult to come back and find the files I already worked on because they're now filtered out of my working view.

It would be VERY convenient to be able to have a Smartlist auto-fill with any file which has been tagged within X number of hours/days/etc. With this, I could easily make a "to do" list for recently touched files which have been tagged, but not "completed". I tried using [Date Modified] but unfortunately, this only works for file types with embedded metadata (where tagging the files also "touches" the data files on disk). Where I need this the most is for Videos, which don't support embedded tags, and so the [Date Modified] stubbornly doesn't change when I do my tagging operations.

I can see this being handy for other issues as well. If you accidentally change tags on a wide swath of files, it would make it much easier to find them if you could search for [Date Tagged] is in the last 1 Hour and go back and fix them.

So... This seems like an easy fix. We track the last time a file was played, and other similar information, but there's no tracking of when the last tagging change to a file was done. What say you?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RD James

Re: [Date Tagged] Field
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:45 pm »

+1

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »

I think it's a good idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:32 pm »

I think it's a good idea.

Yay!  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:24 am »

You would probably want to exclude tag changes for tags such as [Bookmark], [Last Played], [Last Skipped], [Number Plays] and so on which get updated during normal usage of MC.

But otherwise, I would find this useful.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 06:40:38 am »

You would probably want to exclude tag changes for tags such as [Bookmark], [Last Played], [Last Skipped], [Number Plays] and so on which get updated during normal usage of MC.

But otherwise, I would find this useful.

Yep, otherwise please gimme  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:16:24 am »

Coming in the next build of MC24:
NEW: Added a "Date Tagged" field that will get set to the current time anytime a field other than ones associated with normal playback are set.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:44 am »

That's beautiful. Thanks, Matt!

PS. You did it anyway, but...

Yes, I agree certainly. I didn't include this in my post above, but the idea was to capture user-initiated Tagging changes, not ones that MC does all by itself just in normal usage of the files.

PS2. And, since you liked this one, I have another similar one I've wanted for a long time, but I'll post it separately.

Pages: [1]   Go Up