INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up HDHomeRun  (Read 3482 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Setting up HDHomeRun
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:31:10 pm »

Hi

Quick question before I get into this - do I need to install the Silicon Dust Live TV app on my PC to get the HDHomeRun to work? or can i tune in and run everything through MC? I presume I don't need the HDHomeRun DVR software as MC will do this?

thanks
Z

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Setting up HDHomeRun
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:50:38 pm »

I don't have a HDHomeRun so I can't check anything...

But I know that you need the configuration capability of the Silicon Dust software so that you can set the tuners into "JRiver Media Center" compatibility mode.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:52:49 pm »

It's been so long since I set it up... I can't remember if it is required but, you do want it installed on at least one PC so you can do firmware updates etc and check configs.  I certainly don't need it installed on any of my MC Library Server clients.
JRiver CEO Elect

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 02:23:12 am »

Yes you do need the driver software on one machine. As has been said, that allows you to search for channels, update firmware and also use the capability with other tv software even programs like VLC.

Once done MC will find the tuners and you can go through the normal tv set up within MC. I find the HDHomerun kit a really neat and effective solution, so much better than adding cards or USB tuners and with the benefit of having tv available to phones and tablets on your network.

One thing I have found is that a high quality and strong signal is required, so if you have issues such as pixellation then the aerial is the first place to look. There is android software HDHomerun Signal meter available to check it via Google play store.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 08:32:33 am »

Hi

Quick question before I get into this - do I need to install the Silicon Dust Live TV app on my PC to get the HDHomeRun to work? or can i tune in and run everything through MC? I presume I don't need the HDHomeRun DVR software as MC will do this?

thanks
Z

You need the Driver/Software, and set up the driver for JRiver... but you do NOT need the Win10 App (unless you want to use it for testing purposes). You do NOT need to subscribe/setup the HDHRP DVR software either. So bottom line all you need is:
download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_windows.exe
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »

If it is a Prime, you do not need drivers.  If it is the OTA Tuner, then you do need the drivers.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:36:34 pm »

It is not a Prime as Z0001 is in Australia.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 08:30:10 am »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd  resurrect this one in the hope that someone can point out my simple error that I cant see.

I have an HDHR4-2DT UK 2 receiver model. Which works as I can see tv shows using the Homerun app and all the homerun software and drivers are installed.
MC can see it as I have 2 TV devices listed.
The internal private firewall has been set to allow MC & all the HDHomerun apps through it.  I have also tried with it turned off completely with no difference.  I have set the guide to be OTA as I cant be bothered with the other ways of receiving a channel guide at the moment.

However when I run a channel scan it fails with the following error:-
The specified tuner for scanning is in use or not available.  Please either select a different tuner or freeup the selected tuner and start again."
When I look on the show status tab, I can see both tuners but the state is "initialising".  Presumably that is my problem, but can any anybody say why and how to fix it? because I'm stumped.

This is my first and yet unsucessful stab at getting live tv through MC.

Many thanks
Paul
2012 i7 Mac Mini - Media Center for mac |
Debian Wheezy 64 bit - Media Center for linux| Exasound e28 DAC

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:01:46 am »

Which version of MC are you using?  I believe this issue has been fixed.  Please update MC if you are not using the latest.

You might also try this:  turn off EPG scanning temporarily, restart MC, and run channel scanning.  Once channel scanning is finished, you can turn EPG scanning back on.  You got that error because most likely you tuners got stuck trying to scan EPG.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 01:00:25 pm »

Yaobing

I’m on v24 and yeah not updating the guide at the same time as scanning worked.  Ran the setup and it scanned the channels ok.  Then went back and did the ota guide and that worked too.

Thanks
2012 i7 Mac Mini - Media Center for mac |
Debian Wheezy 64 bit - Media Center for linux| Exasound e28 DAC
Pages: [1]   Go Up