INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools (Audio Path) Icon Not Lighting Up Blue During Playback of 24bit Audio  (Read 1438 times)

steelstring41

• Recent member

Using WASAPI direct connection, my Tools icon does not light up blue when playing 24bit flac files (Output example: 48kHz 24bit 2ch using WASAPI). It lights up for all my 16bit audio. Is something changing when I play 24bit?

EDIT: same thing going on for 1bit dsf files.
EDIT: changed 'orange' to 'blue' in description (i previously had the colors inverted on Noire skin)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe

Please post a screenshot of the Audio Path.
This appears when you hover over the icon.

You should be able to use the Windows Snipping Tool to get a screenshot that you can upload here.

steelstring41

• Recent member

Here you go :)

RD James

It’s because you are resampling from 96kHz to 48kHz.
That is not a “bit-perfect” operation - though Media Center does this conversion in high quality.

I would suggest enabling SoX resampling and setting dither to TPDF in the advanced audio options to improve the quality of this conversion if your system can handle it.

steelstring41

• Recent member

Well, shoot I guess I don't have that option as I am using MC20. So, what exactly does SoX and TPDF dither do? Would it be worth upgrading to the latest Media Center so I can use it? Is it DSP related? Why is JRiver resampling the track? Thanks for your help on this.

RD James

Well, shoot I guess I don't have that option as I am using MC20. So, what exactly does SoX and TPDF dither do? Would it be worth upgrading to the latest Media Center so I can use it? Is it DSP related? Why is JRiver resampling the track? Thanks for your help on this.
They are higher quality options that were added in newer versions of Media Center. I'm not sure specifically which version.
Does your device support 96kHz playback? If not, Media Center will automatically downsample it.
If it does, it may not be configured correctly.

steelstring41

• Recent member

I'm using JDS Labs O2 + ODAC, which supports and is set to 96kHz. See pic.

steelstring41

• Recent member

Here are some more settings (pic).

steelstring41

• Recent member

I figured it out. I had to uncheck 'Output Format' in DSP Studio. I guess it was forcing it to downsample 96kHz tracks. As for my dsf files, they are indeed not supported by my hardware so they're still getting downsampled (from 352.8kHz to 96kHz). :)

steelstring41

• Recent member

Had to uncheck 'Output Format'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up