INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-Feature Request: Upgrade Notification  (Read 2494 times)

Snookboy

• Recent member
Un-Feature Request: Upgrade Notification
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:29:20 pm »

Please don't become PowerDVD (or even worse Quicken).  I have been using JRiver for quite a while now, since 16 I think.  I love it for many reasons, mostly because it works so darn good.  But I've upgraded each and every time as soon as a new version was available, mostly because I think so much of the company.  Nothing in your face.  Responsive.  Easy to reach and get feedback on this forum.  Just great to deal with.

Given all that, I have to say I was pretty disappointed the other day when I opened my JRiver and I have a blinking/flashing window telling me about the upgrade.  I don't recall seeing this in the past, and granted, it was not overly intrusive, to me it represents a step down a path I don't want to see JRiver go.  You already emailed me about the upgrade.  I would ask, please don't intrude upon my experience using your software.

I may be the only one and if so, so be it.  Not a life threatening issue, but I do find these types of software selling intrusions annoying and I didn't think I would ever see it from JRiver.  Thought I would get my two cents out there.

FWIW, I had already purchased the upgrade and I am looking forward to the new version with BR menus.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Un-Feature Request: Upgrade Notification
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:10 pm »

JRiver were forced to use that capability that MC has had for a long time, as Microsoft was blocking their Pre-Order emails. They only did it because a lot of people weren't receiving the discount price offer.

Hopefully it won't be necessary in the future, but it is getting harder to send bulk emails to legitimately inform people of news about the product.

Jim's comments: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114785.0.html
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:55:57 pm »

I didn't receive an email, so I have to say I was pleased to see the notification.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »

I don't have any problem with a program notifying you in the sidebar that a newer version is available when you check for updates to the current version. I didn't get a pop-up window flashing at me.
I'm already licensed for 24 and still seeing that message appear though, which is something that I'd like to see addressed.

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:36:37 pm »

JRiver were forced to use that capability that MC has had for a long time, as Microsoft was blocking their Pre-Order emails. They only did it because a lot of people weren't receiving the discount price offer.

Hopefully it won't be necessary in the future, but it is getting harder to send bulk emails to legitimately inform people of news about the product.

Jim's comments: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114785.0.html

Thanks for the link.  I can see what prompted it.  Can it be turned off?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:52 pm »

No.  Sorry.  It's new.  We need to fine tune it.  Please be patient for a couple of weeks.

choropapa

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »

turned off

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:20:14 am »

choropapa, that turns off all updating, not what I'm looking to do, thanks though.

Jim, thanks for the reply.

franswilco

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 05:00:47 am »

Personally, I like the notification. I prefer running the latest version of JRiver.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:44 am »

I do understand Snookboy's concern because I love JRiver's normal hands off approach (thank you). Actually, I liked the notification at first and I understand the reason for it (it sounds like he does, too, now). You should do it once (but only once) for each major version update.

I upgraded pretty quick as usual, but still have to close it every day. I keep looking for a way to turn it off without turning off updates altogether. I assume there will be an update that fixes it. Though I have noticed over the last few months that updates don't happen nearly as frequently as they used to.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 02:50:31 pm »

Agree with OP, please stay clear of any slippery slope :)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 09:14:15 am »

Turned off automatic updates as there probably won't be updates for MC23 before MC24 is released for the public and if there is I'll notice that while browsing here on interact anyway
Pages: [1]   Go Up