INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keyboard shortcuts for moving subtitles  (Read 2590 times)

dziemian

• Recent member
keyboard shortcuts for moving subtitles
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:49:57 pm »

It would be extremely usuful to use shortcuts to move forward or delay subtitles (at specified amount of ms) for those who watch 99% movies with subtitles

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: keyboard shortcuts for moving subtitles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:41 pm »

How about the arrow keys? Would adjusting subtitle timing using just arrow keys be acceptable?
You can do that already

fodalweb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:56:07 am »

What are those keyboard shortcuts, I cannot find them

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

fodalweb

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 09:52:20 am »

Thank you so much!

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:23 am »

I have checked your advice with osd and arrows. It is the same pain to go through all this options downward to the subtitle timing, changing  to a certain value, only to realize you need to repeat that. And again and again, sometimes several times. What is needed is a simple shortcut to move subtitles while watching and adjusting accordingly.

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »

+1
Windows 10 Pro x64

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:48 am »

Please make it remember subtitle positions too. I always shift them up +10% when I start watching, amazing how so small features are still missing.

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:18:00 am »

Please make it remember subtitle positions too. I always shift them up +10% when I start watching, amazing how so small features are still missing.

+1

With other hifi players getting more and more sophisticated the video in JRiver is still one of the main distinguishers among hifi players. And subtitles play a substantial role ;)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 03:45:47 pm »

It remembers the position on a per video basis, if I am not mistaken. What you seem to be asking for is a global setting to positioning subtitles that will apply to all videos.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »

It remembers the position on a per video basis, if I am not mistaken. What you seem to be asking for is a global setting to positioning subtitles that will apply to all videos.

Indeed it does. I believe it also makes a best guess of where to put the Subtitles on a new video, based on aspect ratio, resolution, whether there are black bars top and bottom and so on. It sounds like the best guess doesn't suit you.

Here's what you can do:
Pick one of your movies for which you have Subtitles, and make sure they are positioned as you want. Open the tagging window for that movie and have a look at the [Playback Info] tag. It will include Subtitle position information. Copy that information. If that is the only information in the tag, the next step is easy. Just select all your movies that you wish to adjust the Subtitle position for and paste the values into the Playback tag.

Of course, if you have a bunch of movies of different aspect ratios, resolutions, etc. then the [Playback Info] tag isn't likely to be empty, and is going to show as [Varies], so you shouldn't overwrite those values. You will need to select movies in groups that have the same info in the [Playback Info] tag and paste in the additional information, or overwrite the Subtitle portion of the tag, for each group.

That was too much work, right? But that is just to fix the movies you already have. What about new movies imported?

So what you do then is edit the Auto-Import settings for Movies to apply the Subtitle info to the [Playback Info] tag during import. I'm pretty sure that will happen before any other information is applied to the [Playback Info] tag, so you won't need to worry about overwriting existing data and mucking up the video display. Of course, you may need different adjustments for different movies, but tagging on import with your preferred default value is a starting point.

Try it and see if that works for you. As always, back up your library before trying, and test on small numbers of files first.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up