More > JRiver Media Center 24 for Windows

iTunes Playlist Import

(1/3) > >>

Matt:
Just thought I could detail how playlist export and import from iTunes works with Media Center.

With iTunes, you can export your playlists by picking right-click > Export...

It will export to a text file.

Then you can drag that text file from Explorer into Media Center and it will import all the data and play nicely.

If you drop the playlist onto the "Playlists" node of the tree it will make a playlist from the drop.

j.schmidt:
When I right click on a playlist in iTunes I do not get the Export option.

What am I missing?

Do you need MC24 to import the data into media center. I am running MC23

SuperMum:
@j.schmidt, export is not available in iTunes from right-click of Playlists unfortunately (not very user-friendly of Apple, IMHO).
You must left-click the playlist you want to export (to select it), then from the menu bar at the top of the window, go to  File > Library > Export Playlist...

This answer is for the version I am running:  iTunes v12.7.5.9 on Windows 10.

SuperMum:
Any chance for a JRiver enhancement to import multiple (all) iTunes playlists at one time from iTunes Music Library.xml ?  All the playlists are in there.  They could be updated automatically with auto-sync.  At the moment, JRiver will only import single playlists.  If you try to import iTunes Music Library.xml as a playlist itself, you get one huge playlist called "iTunes Music Library" with everything in it (6000+ tracks in my case!)

I have a lot of iTunes playlists that I prefer to maintain in iTunes.  This is because a) I like to buy music and music videos from iTunes Store, so I will be continuing to use iTunes ongoing for that purpose and b) I sync my iTunes music to my iPhone so I want the playlists to be in iTunes.

My use case is:
1. buy music in iTunes Store
2. update my playlist(s) with new track
3. close iTunes
4. open JRiver.  Would be wonderful if I had the option to auto-sync the playlists to JRiver, as well as the tracks.

The tool MCIS referenced https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0 in this forum will not work, as it only sync's Apple 'on-the-go' playlists which don't exist anymore AFAIK (I couldn't find any option to add such a playlist in Windows iTunes, anyway).

One option would be to not use JRiver at all and play my stuff in iTunes.  But iTunes is just too unstable.  Latest updates broke playback of mixed audio/music-video playlists when visualizations are turned on.

Another option is to export and import each playlist I change, individually.  Tedious and error prone.

Another option is to maintain playlists in JRiver use MCIS to export them back to iTunes.  I don't trust MCIS to work ongoing (and not screw up my iTunes library), as it hasn't been updated for 2 years, and the file is just sitting on GitHub with no sign of life with regards to ongoing support.

JimH:
How about buying the music somewhere else?

Or import the files themselves and build the playlists in JRiver?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version