INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing MC24 killed the WDM driver.  (Read 1738 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Installing MC24 killed the WDM driver.
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:18:41 am »

Well, I was never able to figure out exactly why the WDM driver for MC23 continued to work on my system despite newer versions apparently being incompatible with Windows 10 due to signing changes.
However, installing MC24 and updating to the latest WDM driver has now killed it.

It worked fine initially, but Windows told me that a restart was required to "finish installing the device".
After restarting, the WDM driver was nowhere to be found, and has an error of "Code 52" in Device Manager.
I get the same Code 52 error now if I switch back to MC23 as well.

From doing a little reading up on this, my understanding is that driver-signing certificates issued prior to 2015-07-29 will pass driver signing checks, but anything newer than that requires you to go through the new driver signing process.
  • Does this mean that it should be possible to install an older version of the driver and have that work for now? If so, what is the newest version that would apply to?
  • When will JRiver update their driver-signing process to be compatible with versions of Windows newer than 2015?
On a somewhat positive note, being without it for even a couple of hours made me realize just how much I use the WDM driver now.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Installing MC24 killed the WDM driver.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:25:14 am »

Older drivers are prone to BSODs, so we'll never recommend doing that. You should still be able to get the current driver to work by disabling Secure Boot.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:51:30 am »

WDM Driver installed just fine for me on Windows 10 Pro (for Workstations) 10.0.16299
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:18:51 am »

Older drivers are prone to BSODs, so we'll never recommend doing that.
Most of my usage is without exclusive mode, so I would disable it until you can update the driver signing to work on current versions of Windows.
I just thought you might have a record of which driver had been signed with the old certificate rather than having to try old versions at random.

You should still be able to get the current driver to work by disabling Secure Boot.
Disabling security features is not really an option. Multiple security features that have been added to Windows 10 will not function without secure boot.

WDM Driver installed just fine for me on Windows 10 Pro (for Workstations) 10.0.16299
With or without Secure Boot?
It seems like something had previously allowed the WDM driver to be updated on my system even with Secure Boot active, but the update to MC24 has now caused it to do a fresh check of the driver signing - or perhaps 1803 has made driver signing stricter than 1709. I doubt they're going to make exceptions for older certificates forever (and presumably those will expire).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:25:35 am »

Mmmm I've not changed anything in Windows (that I can remember) to disable Secure Boot.  Is there anything in particular you want me to check?  As I can confirm the the WDM driver is working just fine for me.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:27:39 am »

Secure Boot would need to be enabled/disabled in UEFI, not Windows. You can check with msinfo32.exe if Secure Boot is currently enabled (System Summary tab, look for "Secure Boot State").
Note that the signing requirements are also not enforced if your OS was upgraded from a version prior to 1607, only fresh installs of 1607 or newer have the enforcement active (which is a rather dumb concept, to keep a "history" in your system and behave differently - but it fits with all the dumb ideas the entire new signing requirements have)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:32:01 am »

OK - My Secure Boot State is Off (and I only in the last few days updated my BIOS and reset to Default to do some testing)
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:12:59 am »

Secure Boot would need to be enabled/disabled in UEFI, not Windows. You can check with msinfo32.exe if Secure Boot is currently enabled (System Summary tab, look for "Secure Boot State").
Note that the signing requirements are also not enforced if your OS was upgraded from a version prior to 1607, only fresh installs of 1607 or newer have the enforcement active (which is a rather dumb concept, to keep a "history" in your system and behave differently - but it fits with all the dumb ideas the entire new signing requirements have)
Yeah, that's why I'm confused as to how it worked in the first place, as it was a clean install of 1709 on this PC.
It was built in 2017-04 (I did a clean install when 1709 was released) so it was never running anything older than 1607.

I can only think that an older version of the WDM driver had been signed by a certificate issued before 2015-07-29, and the OS was allowing it to be updated.
On 1803 (as a 1709 > 1803 upgrade) going from MC23 to MC24 has invalidated that now - for both the new and previous WDM driver.
Even after the upgrade from 1709 to 1803, the driver had continued to work until today.

Is there an ETA on when the driver signing will be updated so that it can be used on modern hardware and current versions of Windows without disabling security features?

RD James

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:09:31 pm »

It looks like 23.0.80, the build right before the Exclusive Mode BSOD fix, is the latest version of the driver that works.
I still don't know why it is that I had no issue using the WDM driver all the way up to 23.0.104 until I installed MC24, but I can't update past 23.0.80 now.
Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v23/latest/MediaCenter230080-x64.exe
Pages: [1]   Go Up