INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user. Already in trouble.  (Read 976 times)

landiepete

• Recent member
New user. Already in trouble.
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:32 am »

Hello,

First off : I'm probably posting in the wrong section. That's because I can't find the right one. Here goes.

I'm a new user. After using an eval version for a few weeks, I purchased a Master License yesterday.

I'm installing JRiver on a few machines.
The first one is my 'main box'. For this, I have a drive wit Win 10, a drive with OSX, and a drive with Ubuntu. It's the same hardware box. I just swap the drive when I feel like it.
The second one is a laptop, which I use to interact with my 'Old Skool Hifi' systems.

Now. I've been installing the license 4 times. I thought it would be easy, just installing and entering the serial number I got. The JRiver registration system bes to differ, and keeps sending me 'temporary install keys'. I can't figure out what to to with those. I just keep getting new ones (5 now) and the count down to zeo keeps going. Halfway 1 day in.
When installing it on the laptop it now tells me my serial s not for that version. Another temporary install key appears in my mailbox.

I'm trying to figure out how to contact support directly, but at this I seem to be equally inept. Hence my post here.

So please help a noob out. My first encounter as a paying customer is not a happy one.

Thanks,

Pete

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New user. Already in trouble.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:17:40 am »

I think you are entering your Registration Code into MC, it fails, and probably asks if you want to restore the licence or something? I haven't needed to do anything like that for years, so I forget exactly wht it does.

Anyway, every one of those emails sent to you has an attached *.mjr file. Detach it somewhere then double click on it. That will install the licence, if MC is already installed as a trial. An mjr file is valid for 14 days from receipt. I think that is why you are calling it a "temporary install key"?

Make sure your laptop is running at least MC23.0.102, better yet MC23.0.104. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115105.0.html

On Windows you could even go with MC24.0.15 if you wanted. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115332.0.html

MC23 and MC24 will work together, but you may wish to have the same version everywhere until you get used to MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:23:47 am »

As I understand it, if you download the registration file from JRiver, and then copy it to the machine that you are running the program and double click the registration file it should then register the program. You can use the same file on different machines.

I've never had to actually enter the registration key into the program. The keys expire after a time and that's why you have the ability to download new versions if you have to reinstall or something.

Dont panic if you make a genuine mistake and use up your keys. So long as you are being honest about it, Jim or one of the mods here can sort it out for you.

Welcome to JRiver, we're all here to help  :)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:24:04 am »

sorry for your confusion Pete and welcome to Interact....that install key can be used for 14 days to install the license key for MC....once MC is installed on you pc all you would need to do is double click it...It won't use up any of your yearly quota, which btw don't worry about the admins are very generous on refilling. In other words don't use the actual key but once, then use the little .mjr file after....all this info is listed at the top of this board along with the wiki and a simple google search....don't wait for it to get this bad, come here and search and post. Trust me all the answers to your questions are here! Enjoy

OK then RoderickGI, robt are faster typers than I am
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:08 am »

OK then RoderickGI, robt are faster typers than I am

Only just a little quicker. At least we are all being consistent!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

landiepete

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:29 pm »

Ok, I think I got the hang of it, thanks !

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up