INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRSS for 5.1 with 24 Channel Output  (Read 1193 times)

midrag

• Recent member
JRSS for 5.1 with 24 Channel Output
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:53:17 pm »

Hi,

i am using JRiver with an 24 channel output interface (Motu 24ao). I am upgrading from stereo to 5.1 full-active speaker setup-up. I am also using JRiver WDM driver for gaming.

I read in the thread "JRSS for 5.1 with 24 Channel Output Possible?" https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96385.0 JRiver always uses 7.1 channel setup if i select my 24 channel output interface.

My feature request:

Please make the target speaker setup for JRSS configurable for output interface with more than 8 channels.

best regards,
midrag

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRSS for 5.1 with 24 Channel Output
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:08:27 am »

If I recall correctly, one of the things that people have done is specify a 5.1 output via ASIO, but used the channel offset to route that to their desired output channels.
Whether that works for you may depend on how the device driver handles playback.

midrag

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:28 am »

channel offset won't help. People use it to use channels 7 to 12 in another zone.

my problem is:
- if I select "5.1 Channels" under "output format" i can only work with 6 channels in the equalizer.
- if I select "24 Channels" under "output format" JRiver mixes everything to 7.1.

my feature request is that i can select the amount of channels i want to use in the zone (here: 24 channels) and the equalizer and to select the desired target output format (in my case: 5.1)

i have attached some screenshots. i know this is a special use case. I hope there are a lot more people out there wanting to use full active speakers in an 5.1 setup

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:34:18 am »

Channel offset is in the device settings, not DSP Studio.
You would only have 6 channels to work with in DSP Studio, but the offset should push them to different channels on the device.
So instead of a 6-channel signal being sent to channels 0-5, it would be offset to 6-11, 12-17, 18-23.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:06 am »

Channel offset is in the device settings, not DSP Studio.
You would only have 6 channels to work with in DSP Studio, but the offset should push them to different channels on the device.
So instead of a 6-channel signal being sent to channels 0-5, it would be offset to 6-11, 12-17, 18-23.
how does that give 24 output channels in jriver without playing to 4 zones concurrently?

@midrag I think that, until mix target and output channels are decoupled, you'd probably have to manually mix back down to 5.1

RD James

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:23:46 am »

how does that give 24 output channels in jriver without playing to 4 zones concurrently?
Perhaps I have misunderstood the request or made a bad assumption about what midrag is trying to do.
midrag: you asked for 5.1 mixing in a 24-channel output, but what is it that you are trying to achieve with that setup?

midrag

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:28:18 am »

midrag: you asked for 5.1 mixing in a 24-channel output, but what is it that you are trying to achieve with that setup?

I am trying to use JRiver's equalizer as active crossover. My front speakers (except center) are 3-way speakers. Center and rear are two way speakers.
I need to work with 2 x 3 (front)+ 3 x 2 (center + rear) + 1 (subwoofer) = 13 channels in the equalizer.

As i build the speakers myself i am actually testing with 2.1 setup (because the center and rears are not build jet). As of now i can not use the 2.1 full-active setup with JRSS. The requested feature (access to all channels a interface has independent from the selected output format) would allow that (and many other variations).

midrag

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:45:20 am »

@midrag I think that, until mix target and output channels are decoupled, you'd probably have to manually mix back down to 5.1

i'll try that. It would be great if the jriver team could keep the mentioned feature request in mind :-)

Short info for further readers:
I read about to methods down mixing 7.1 to 5.1.

Method 1:
Just use the 7.1 rear surrounds as the 5.1 surrounds:

Ls = Lrs
Rs = Rrs

Method 2:
Do some mixing as supposedly dolby suggests:

Ls = Lss + Lrs(@-1.2dB) + Rsr(@-6.2dB)
Rs = Rss+ Lrs(@-6.2dB) + Rsr(@-1.2dB)

Ls: Left surround in 5.1 setup
Lss: Left side surround in 7.1 setup
Lrs: Left rear surround in 7.1 setup

Rs: Right surround in 5.1 setup
Rss: Right side surround in 7.1 setup
Rrs: Right rear surround in 7.1 setup

RD James

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:30 am »

I am trying to use JRiver's equalizer as active crossover.
OK, then I did misinterpret what you wrote. I thought you had upgraded to a new set of active speakers; i.e. they do all the management themselves.
For now, you will have to do the downmix via DSP Studio before setting up all your other DSP.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 06:28:09 am »

I read about to methods down mixing 7.1 to 5.1.
I suppose the preferred approach might vary with the source channel count, i.e. mixing down native 7.1 to 5.1 might be different to backing out a jrss 5.1->7.1 upmix. I don't recall ever seeing a specification of how jrss does that upmix though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up