INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes for Windows  (Read 3596 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
iTunes for Windows
« on: June 13, 2003, 03:14:32 am »

Is JRiver silently building iTunes for Windows ?

Agreement with Apple ? :-)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

NoCodeUK

Re: iTunes for Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 03:18:55 am »

There was talk about this at one stage.  It would be ncie to think so... Only problem I foresee is the fact that MC is so much better than iTunes for Mac in other areas than just the GUI

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 03:21:51 am »

Quote from ZDNET:

Soon you won't need a Mac to strike up your iTunes.

Apple Computer is developing a version of its jukebox software for Microsoft Windows-based PCs. According to a job posting on the company's Web site, it is looking for someone to design and build "Apple's newest Consumer Application, iTunes for Windows."

The Mac maker said on Monday that it would extend its music service to Windows-based machines by the end of the year, but did not explicitly say that it would do so through a Windows version of its iTunes. The service, named iTunes Music Store, is currently only available to Macs.
When Apple released its iPod for Windows, it chose to bundle jukebox software from MusicMatch with the portable MP3 player rather than to release a version of iTunes for the Microsoft operating system.

Nonetheless, the iTunes application is an integral part of the Mac version of the music service, being the software that allows people to play music, buy songs and transfer them to an iPod. In order to sell music to play on Windows machines, Apple clearly needs either its own software or another program to fulfill these functions and to manage copying restrictions.

An Apple representative declined to comment further on the company's plans for iTunes and Windows.

In the Mac-only version of iTunes Music Store, Apple offers more than 200,000 tracks, with most songs selling for 99 cents apiece and many albums available for $9.99. Those who buy music can use it on up to three computers and download it to an iPod. Songs can also be burned to any number of CDs, though only 10 copies of any one mix of tracks may be made.

may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 03:32:56 am »

Interesting!!

Who knows then.  Lets just hope that it can still be called MC and doesn't have to change its name to Apple iTunes for Windows...,YAWN!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 05:32:55 am »

We don't need another iTunes clone >:(

We need an MC that is truly unique... one that stands alone, is a leader, does it all better then the "other" guys.

If we wanted to use clones we would make everything Microsoft's way and who want that ?

I want MC to be a one-of-a-kind, stand out best of bread player that I can be truly proud of and not another look-alike.

After all, we buy software because of its uniqueness and not because of its sameness.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 07:53:34 am »

We don't need another iTunes clone >:(

I agree, but JRiver is also in business to make money, and that would be an opportunity too great to pass up.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 08:55:28 am »

So... iTunes is now the leader?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 08:56:41 am »

Just because it may look like iTunes doesn't mean it's a clone.

iTunes has a hella nice GUI.  I've always wanted a program that looked like iTunes but worked like MC.  MC is outstanding software, but the learning curve is a pain in the butt, and I'm not the only one that's been thinking that.  J River has listened and has begun to totally re-do the MC9 user experience, and I think that the changes are totally positive.  Guess I got my wish, eh?

To further prove that MC9 is not a "clone" all one has to do is take a gander at iTunes'

- smartlists (much more limiting than MC9)
- format playback support
- TV-Tuner (not in iTunes)
- Video playback capabilities (not in iTunes)
- HTPC front-end  (not in iTunes)
- Media Server (not in iTunes)
- variety of handheld support (try hooking up a Zen to iTunes)
- skinning support (not essential, but still not in iTunes)
- party mode (not in iTunes)

I could go on if y'all want, but I think I've proved my point.  MC9 and iTunes are similar in looks and purpose only.  That's where the similiarities end.

And again, Apple is coming out with iTunes for Windows.  iPod users are going to finally have good software out of the box to use on their PCs (iPods currently ship with MMJB).  MC9 can give these users the same UI with a MUCH more powerful engine and tons of additional features.  I think it's grand.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 09:33:19 am »

>> So... iTunes is now the leader?
maybe, only because of current hype on major media sources

Apple can't get there computer system and software in major retail stores. or sale computers in numbers to increase there market share.

They have been working on that for years and years
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 09:40:55 am »

So... iTunes is now the leader?

Only for the Macs. On the PC's I think you'll find that Winamp is probably #1 with MusicMatch, WMP and MC falling somewhere behind.

It irritates me to no end to keep seeing MusicMatch get all these bundling contracts, like with the iPod and Dell PC's.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 11:09:42 am »

Don't forget all those mobile players bundled with MusicMatch (Urghhh!)....Why? Oh lord, tell me why...

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 12:18:26 pm »

>>> I agree, but JRiver is also in business to make money, and that would be an opportunity to big to pass up. <<<

I agree with that, however I always thought that it was innovation (and marketing) that sales & not simply making a look-alike product.

Mercedes sales a lot of luxury cars because they are truly innovative & don't really care to "keep up with the crowd".  As a result they have a very loyal following that is willing to pay "top dollar" for the best.

That's where I think MC should be

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 12:33:27 pm »

Just wait till somebody whips up an iTunes skin...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 12:34:16 pm »

Hmmm.... I think I may have just given myself an idea. :P

Anybody with a Mac out there that would be willing to send me a full size screenshot?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2003, 12:36:07 pm »

Sorry for the virtual diarhea here, but I was just watching some of the videos on iTunes...

Their smartlist wizard is EXACTLY what I wished MC's had turned out to be. That's just beautiful design right there...

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2003, 12:56:24 pm »

Good god, they just added DVD Burning to MC9!!

Who still thinks it's an iTunes clone?  I disagree 100%.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2003, 01:09:10 pm »

Definitely not a clone. Just because the top-most portion of MC was obviously influenced by iTunes, that's about where the similarity ends.

Still... there seem to be some things worth looking at there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up