INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media centre 24 license  (Read 2540 times)

gerry125

• Recent member
media centre 24 license
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:50 pm »

Have purchased and downloaded license for media centre 24, installs OK on one PC, but message " your license file is for a different product" on the other, (follows after the message do you want to make changes to your PC).
Both PC's running same version of media 23.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: media centre 24 license
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:26:20 pm »

You must be using MC23.0.102 or 103. You typically get that message if you are using an earlier version of MC23.

The message on the first PC may not have been correct. After you have ensured you are using one of the versions above, on each PC double click on the mjr file emailed to you and you should get a message about the licence installation.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

gerry125

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:02:48 pm »

Checked both Pc's and version No's are the same 23.0.102. Tried installing new license from mjr file. Installs OK on one , but same result on the other The mjr file in both cases downloaded from my email account  (Windows-420577.mjr)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 03:42:52 pm »

Do you have an older version of MC still installed on the second PC?

If so the Windows File Association may still be pointing back to the older version for the mjr file type. You can fix that. You can also check that very easily by double-clicking on the mjr file, then when the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" message pops up, click the "Show more details" link. You will be able to see from the path to the "PackageInstaller.exe" file whether it is trying to run the MC23 version, or some other version.

If this is the issue, type "Default app settings" in the Windows menu search field, and press enter. Then click the "Choose default apps by file type" link, and scroll down to the mjr file type. You will see that it is assigned to the "Package Installer" app, but unfortunately, it doesn't identify which version of MC that Package Installer belongs to, and if you click on the Package Installer icon, you will probably see two or more Package Installers listed. Windows also doesn't highlight which Package Installer is currently associated with the mjr file type.

So the only way I have found to check if the correct installer is associated with the mjr file type is to click the first "Package Installer" in the list, let it update (a couple of seconds), and then double-click on the mjr file again and select "Show more details" to see which installer it is pointed at. If it is still pointing at an earlier version that MC23, go back and select the second "Package Installer" in the list and check again.

Once the mjr file is associated with the correct MC23 Package Installer, click on the Yes button to complete the licence installation.

Yes, MC should have changed all the file associations when you installed MC23. No, it doesn't always work.

Yes, it would be nice if the Package Installer name included the MC version it was associated with. I might put in a request for that. EDIT: Done. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112049.msg794448.html#msg794448

You may want to check other file associations are pointing to MC23 rather than an earlier version.

Let us know if this fixes the issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

gerry125

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:50 pm »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, yes the installer was pointing at MC21, located the correct version and now license installed OK.
Searching through the other file associations highlighted loads of file types also associated with version 21, takes a while to go through them all.

For info my other PC also has all the older versions of JRiver as well but has obviously updated correctly.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:17:26 pm »

Hi

I installed on two computer MC23.00.103

One was no issue , the other one I had exactly the mentioned issue.

It pointed to an earlier MC21.

I could then manually select the MC23 package installer and it worked

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:27:07 pm »

Good to hear the fix worked for you both.

I don't know why MC sometimes doesn't change file associations on major upgrades. I think if it finds the previous version of MC and transfers the library correctly it does better with file associations. I often have the upgrade on one or the other PC fail to find the previous version, but haven't been able to see any logic to it. I just backup the previous version before doing a major upgrade, and then restore the backup afterwards. Maybe that puts files associations back to where they were. It is annoying and takes time to fix, but at least it is fixable.

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:14:54 pm »

That was my problem also.  The installer was pointing at 22.  I tried to select each of the 3 versions and run the mjr but it still pointed at the 22 installer.  So I uninstalled 22 from my machine and tried to run the mjr again but now windows can't find any program to run the mjr file. Can you give me more instructions on how to get past this?  Thanks so much.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 03:27:32 pm »

Probably the easiest solution in your case LDF would be to first try reinstalling MC23 and see if that works.

If not, back up MC23 manually (File > Library > Back Up Library), then uninstall MC23 as well, then reinstall it. Check that your library was found okay and that the licence installs. If the library has any issues, just Restore the backup you made.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »

That was my problem also.  The installer was pointing at 22.  I tried to select each of the 3 versions and run the mjr but it still pointed at the 22 installer.  So I uninstalled 22 from my machine and tried to run the mjr again but now windows can't find any program to run the mjr file. Can you give me more instructions on how to get past this?  Thanks so much.
That's what you would see if MC23.102 or higher was not installed.

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:50 pm »

Probably the easiest solution in your case LDF would be to first try reinstalling MC23 and see if that works.

If not, back up MC23 (File > Library > Back Up Library), then uninstall MC23 as well, then reinstall it. Check that your library was found okay and that the licence installs. If the library has any issues, just Restore the backup you made.
All is well now.  After I uninstalled v22 & got your response I uninstalled V23 & the V23 64 bit version & rebooted. (Did not realize 3 versions were installed!)  So apparently one of those installs did not remove the previous versions.  I reinstalled 64 bit V23 from the forum and my library seemed to be just fine so didn't have to use the library backup.  I am telling you all this in case someone else encounters the same situation. So... in the future when I get that little notice in the action frame that a new version is available should I let it  install?  That is what I have been doing on all my machines.  The other 2 seemed to work fine but not the laptop.  (all are 64 bit machines...).  Thanks again for your help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »

So... in the future when I get that little notice in the action frame that a new version is available should I let it install?

Probably best to continue with that, at least for minor version updates, as per the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

I always do manual updates because I run Beta versions, so I don't see that message. There is a new message for the major upgrade to version 24 I understand.

Just note that a major upgrade doesn't remove older versions, and a 64bit version doesn't remove 32bit versions. So once you are happy with a new version it is a good idea to uninstall the old versions you aren't using, and sometimes after doing that it is a good idea to reinstall the version you are currently using, as that sets up Windows components, file associations, and so on.

I'm glad that fixed it for you.

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:01 pm »

Probably best to continue with that, at least for minor version updates, as per the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

I always do manual updates because I run Beta versions, so I don't see that message. There is a new message for the major upgrade to version 24 I understand.

Just note that a major upgrade doesn't remove older versions, and a 64bit version doesn't remove 32bit versions. So once you are happy with a new version it is a good idea to uninstall the old versions you aren't using, and sometimes after doing that it is a good idea to reinstall the version you are currently using, as that sets up Windows components, file associations, and so on.

I'm glad that fixed it for you.

Well, I had to "fix" it on my old Win10 laptop (that originally was a Win7 machine, upgraded to Win10) and my old Win7 desktop machine. (New Win10 desktop only had 1 version since it is a new machine.) Win7 also had 3 versions still installed (22, 23, 64 bit ver23).  I uninstalled all 3 then reinstalled 64bit V23 and then tried to use the same mjr file for v24 I got 3 days ago on Mar 15.  But MC said that was expired even though I thought it was supposed to be good for 14 days.  So I have had to use multiple "restores" of my allocation of 10 annually.  I think I have only 7 left for v23 and 8 for V24 which is not even out yet. Hope y'all will cut me some slack if I run out of restores.  :-)  Thanks for your help in getting this resolved.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 05:55:33 pm »

If so the Windows File Association may still be pointing back to the older version for the mjr file type.
File associations shouldn't matter.  The last version of MC that's been run does matter.  It will take control.  If you've just installed the right version, that should work when you click on the mjr file.

I think most of these problems occur when someone either hasn't installed MC24 or did so, then ran a previous version.  If you run the previous version first, it will take over the mjr file when it's clicked.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:48 pm »

Let's try just referring people to this thread.

License Problems

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up