INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many tuners will JRiver 24 support?  (Read 821 times)

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
How many tuners will JRiver 24 support?
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:59:21 pm »

I have been trying to figure out how many tuners the latest version of JRiver MC will support. I have heard of people running 4, but was curious will actually work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How many tuners will JRiver 24 support?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:28:14 pm »

I don't know of a limit.  Silicondust makes some nice networked tuners.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-quatro/

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:46:32 pm »

If there's a limit, it's pretty high.  I've got JRiver configured to use 9 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime tuners (3 x 3 tuner units), 22 SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners (5 x 2 tuner and 3 x 4 tuner units), and 6 PCIe tuners (3 x 2 tuner units).  I obviously have no need to have THAT many OTA tuners going on 1 PC at the same time, but the tuners (other than the PCIe ones) are shared with other PC's in the house.  I have had at least 10 recordings going at the same time without any issues.  The limit is really going to come down to a combination of CPU, disc I/O, and network usage limits as each tuner uses some of each and at some point one or more of those is going to run out of bandwidth.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:29:35 pm »

We do not place any limit on the number of tuners.  It is the power of your computer that matters.  For example if you try to run too many tuners simultaneously on the same computer, your hard disk may not keep up.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:06:40 pm »

Thanks people for the informative replies. I like Hdhomerun's too JimH, and have a two tuner connect on order. I have plenty of horsepower to run all I want, as I have a i7 8700 w/8GB mem, GT1030 Nvidia graphics with an SSD C drive and 7200rpm slaves handling the storage. However, I will probably settle on just 4 to be practical. I know the cpu is overkill, but I want to do a lot of transcoding, and it will aid that a ton. Thanks again guys...

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:03:52 am »

I'm running 8 tuners (2 HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 with 2 Amped Antenna).

One thing I have noticed is that switching from music Playing Now to Television to Recordings slows way down with more tuners I have selected. When I unselect all but one or two tuners it speeds up again so there is that limit. I assume it is somewhat dependent on the speed of the hardware you have. I will be upgrading my desktop in a few months so we will find out if hardware speed is a factor, but I suspect it is.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up