INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feature request - search and apply movie meta data to multiple files  (Read 1050 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

the ability to search for a title and its metadata from the internet works well for a single file

i would like to be able to select multiple files, search for a specific title, select the one i want from the list (usually from themoviedatabase.org), and apply that meta data to each file in the selection set

as it currently works, when multiple files are selected, one can’t search for a specific title

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: feature request - search and apply movie meta data to multiple files
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:45:06 pm »

The easy solution is to search using one file for the main title, and once you have the metadata for that, use the right-click > Edit Commands > Copy function to copy the metadata, then select all the other files that you want to apply the metadata to, and right-click > Edit Commands > Paste Tags function.

Test that carefully before applying it to large numbers of files. I could be wrong! (I rarely use the function, but if memory serves it will do what you want.)

Yes, it is a two-step process, but if it was a one-step process there are users who would completely trash the Library every now and then.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 09:31:43 pm »

Nice request.
I could see it working like this:

If when multiple 'Movie' files that all have the exact same 'Name' and 'Year' values are selected, MC can bring up the search as if there was only one file selected.

The above would work for me and wouldn't require any extra menu items.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:55:08 am »

I don't understand the use case.  Is it a series of a TV Show?  Or some scenario where you have 2, 3, 4, or more of the same movie title? 

Brian.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:53:39 am »

Or some scenario where you have 2, 3, 4, or more of the same movie title?

I do sometimes I have multiple versions of the same movie: 3D, bluray, 4K, etc.
But more often my movies are multiple discs ripped to folder all with the same 'name'.
More often than that, I have discs ripped to mkv where the main movie and each extra have the same 'name'.
The typical movie probably has five files. Some only have one but others have up to 50 files.

My current work around when scraping doesn't work is to change the 'name' of all of the files to something that does work, then change it back after scraping. 99 percent of the time scraping works fine and this isn't needed.

The scenario I'm describing could have nothing to do with TheShoe's original request.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:00:46 pm »

I don't understand the use case.  Is it a series of a TV Show?  Or some scenario where you have 2, 3, 4, or more of the same movie title? 

Brian.

When I back up a movie to MKV, I also back up all of the special features/bonus features/extras.  All of them are MKVs as well.

What I want to do is start off tagging all of them with the movie only meta data from themoviedatabase.org, but I have to select each one individually, search for the movie, select the result I want, and apply it.

All I want is to be able to select multiple files, but have the same "search" capability, e.g. search for "some movie", select the result from the result set, apply it to all selected files.

-

When MC searches and applies data for multiple files, what's it using to search on?

Perhaps I can make it a two-step process: highlight all the files, set a common value for some Tag(s), and then get the metadata based off of that...

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »

When I back up a movie to MKV, I also back up all of the special features/bonus features/extras.  All of them are MKVs as well.

What I want to do is start off tagging all of them with the movie only meta data from themoviedatabase.org, but I have to select each one individually, search for the movie, select the result I want, and apply it.

Hmm.  I would think that you would want to identify these extras in a way that grouped them with the original movie, but did NOT use all of the movie's metadata.  For example, the actors, description, etc aren't exactly accurate for extras.  In some cases, the extras themselves actually have metadata that is available online.  As an example (one of very few I know), Conan The Barbarian (1982) has a documentary that comes as an extra on DVD and Bluray called "Conan Unchained".  It's an "extra".  But the various movie databases have entries for it as a separate entity:

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/143894-conan-unchained-the-making-of-conan?language=en-US

Even if there aren't separate entires, I would think you would want to group your extras, and give them descriptive titles.  For grouping, I have used a separate field.  I've variously used [Series] and [Episode] for this purpose, though you could easily make a custom field instead.  That way your views can be filtered (or grouped) to show you all of the extras from a particular movie.  Maybe along side the movie, or maybe in an "extras only" view.

My main point is that this seemingly requires a lot of manual titling to make it useful in any way.  I'm not sure that you would really even want the automated main movie metadata to "contaminate" your extras metadata.

Of course your line of thinking could be totally different.  These are just my thoughts.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 05:43:33 pm »

I'm with Brian actually. I wouldn't and don't do what you do for movie extras. But if that is what you want to do, that's fine.  8)

When MC searches and applies data for multiple files, what's it using to search on?

I believe it searches on the [Name] and [Year] tags for movies, as defined by the [Media Sub Type], and you can't change that.

Perhaps I can make it a two-step process: highlight all the files, set a common value for some Tag(s), and then get the metadata based off of that...

I gave you a two-step process above. It is easy to do. Try it. Well, test it out, carefully.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 05:48:45 pm »

The mass update dialog is unlikely to get a search field, because in 99% of all cases you have different movies there, and picking one movie title for all of them would not be useful and most likely end up in bad tagging or confusion.
Using the copy tag info process that Roderick recommended is probably the best choice for those wishes.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »

The mass update dialog is unlikely to get a search field, because in 99% of all cases you have different movies there, and picking one movie title for all of them would not be useful and most likely end up in bad tagging or confusion.
Using the copy tag info process that Roderick recommended is probably the best choice for those wishes.

i started down this path based on an old post from glynor.   

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102114.0

basically i change the name of the extra post import of metadata and whatever other fields i feel are important to me.   but i do like to carry over the majority of the movie metadata into the extras.  personal preference.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:39 pm »

This is true, but my previous suggestion wouldn't cause any problems. Just solutions:
If when multiple 'Movie' files that all have the exact same 'Name' and 'Year' values are selected, MC can bring up the search as if there was only one file selected.

My main point is that this seemingly requires a lot of manual titling to make it useful in any way.  I'm not sure that you would really even want the automated main movie metadata to "contaminate" your extras metadata.
I suppose it would be easier to understand if I posted a screen shot of my movie view. (I can't right now). It's dead simple. So is tagging. This request would just be the cherry on top. My videos are all tagged on import. I select ALL recently imported videos and 'get movie & TV info'. Done. There's no contamination.

This feature request isn't anything I see as critical and it's not fixing anything super annoying. I just thought it would be cool to have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up