INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Toggle Disable SetNext via MCWS  (Read 520 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Toggle Disable SetNext via MCWS
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:39 am »

Quick request. I am have a variety of DLNA renderers in use right now. Not all of them play nicely with gapless playback, in particular a Whitebear=>Jivelite renderer that spefically supports gapless playback.

Often gapless works for a while, then "disable setnext" kicks in on a playlist change or clearing playing now.

Can JRiver make a toggle available via MCWS for "Disable SetNext"? Then I could automate a repair via http request.

Also, this ability might tie in nicely with setup for MC24 sync process, since Zone Sync 2 requires this to be enabled.

Thanks!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Toggle Disable SetNext via MCWS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:16:18 pm »

Just out of interest what is a “Whitebear=>Jivelite renderer” ??
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Toggle Disable SetNext via MCWS
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »

Hi Andrew, thanks for your question, and many thanks for the program Whitebear and your many helpful DLNA posts on the forum here!!

“Whitebear=>Jivelite renderer”  is a very shorthand way of describing a system I built for music playback. Also, I made a mistake describing it, actually Squeezelite is the renderer and Jivelite is the controler.

I'm trying to build a Sonos-like system without spending big bucks. Also, achieving a dream of customizable one-action digital music playback, like a boombox radio preset button, for my most used sources.

The system consists of a server, several renderers, and a couple different control devices:

Server: Windows PC with Media on HD, running JRiver 24, Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1, and Eventghost 0.5.0

Renderers: Raspberry Pi using PiCorePlayer https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home , Samsung TV. (Thinking of adding Chromecast via BubbleUPNP, but that's not relevant here)

Controlers: Jivelite on PiCorePlayer, JRiver Panel, Android Tablet

I'm trying to get JRiver and LMS to behave well together. I'm using LMS for Pandora and Tidal streaming and JRiver for my local media library. Mostly it works, but I found that JRiver playback can misbehave when I interrupt LMS streaming playback with JRiver playback, or vice versa.

I observed the following two problems:

1. JRiver/Whitebear would sometimes stop working if LMS was playing local files from my server.
2. Disable SetNext Support occasionally activates in JRiver sometimes when I switch between LMS streaming and JRiver, or switch playlists via JRiver.

Problem 1: I solved by building an Eventghost script that I can easily activate from an shortcut on an android tablet via Eventghost server. The script clears playing now lists for both servers before cueing up new music. Then the two servers never compete for the same renderer. I found a program on Android that pulls up the Eventghost requests nicely, one click and it works. I then built a button controller as well for one-click playback.

Problem 2: I can't track down what causes it to fail. I just reset the SetNext setting and it works again for a couple of days.

I totally understand that I've build a kind of "edge case" system here. I'm trying to get the two servers to behave well together so I can enjoy DLNA JRiver playback and LMS Streaming.

Any thoughts on what may be happening?

Also, Matt if you are listening and my original request catches your eye, then I could have a way of automatically fixing problem 2 as described above. That would be great!! :)

Of course, I may need to rethink the entire system and make it simpler. I often think I have too many complex parts for trouble free playback now. If anyone knows of a better to combine Pandora, Tidal, and JRiver playback I'm interested to learn more.

LMS works very well for streaming so far. I can't imagine support for this will last forever, but when working it's as good or better than Sonos, and way cheaper.

-Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up