INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound dropping out during video playback  (Read 927 times)

MojoJojo

• Recent member
Sound dropping out during video playback
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:05:45 am »

Hi all! I’ve had several versions of JRiver over the years and have just updated to 24 in the hope that it will solve an issue I’ve been experiencing with video playback. Sadly it’s still happening.

The fault (like all the best faults) is intermittent so I’m reluctant to run a log as it could go for hours or days without occurring but of course I will attempt to do so if necessary, but I’m hoping this might be an easy fix that someone has an immediate answer to.

The problem is that the sound will often cut out, most often when watching video content. When this happens sometimes the video framerate will speed up so everything looks like its being fast forwarded. An attempt to restart playback often but not always results in JRiver hanging and a complete reboot of the PC is sometimes required as after closing JRiver down it won’t restart unless I kill it in task manager (quicker to reboot especially from the sofa!).

I’m using Windows 10, JRiver 24.0.19, a Chord Mojo dac with the latest drivers using kernel streaming (although the fault occurs with any output method). I’ve tried changing all cabling and usb ports and have updated every driver on my PC in the hope of curing this but no joy so far!  ?

Any help would be much appreciated!  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound dropping out during video playback
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:40:39 am »

Are you using Red October Standard or HQ?  Do both have this problem?

Does it happen if you use another device for playback?  In other words, a device other than the Chord.

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 06:01:46 am »

It's been set to Red October Standard, I've switched to HQ so I'll see what happens and get back on that.

Funnily enough I was convinced it was the dac at fault. It never seemed to happen with other devices so I took the Mojo out of the system and plugged in a hifimediy UAC27 dac. No fault occurred for a day or so... so I emailed Chord support for help (not yet had a reply) unfortunately sod's law then kicked in and the UAC27 threw up the same fault.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:00 am »

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

OK so having looked through the antivirus thread I've added exceptions in Defender for all file types that I have in my JR library, I'm pretty hopeful about this as it's something I've definitely not tried before.  :)

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 01:26:28 pm »

No joy... Having behaved itself for most of the day the sound just dropped out and the video got the Benny Hill treatment!

It's such a frustrating fault, not so bad at the moment - watching The Croods with my daughter watched about 4000 times previously, but if you are watching something you've never seen before you can easily have your movie ruined by being fast forwarded though the ending with no sound.

Anything else I could try? In all honesty I've already looked for an equivalent to JRiver in the hope of not having to deal with this, but there is nothing else out there that suits my needs (I love my music and hifi but the whole family use the theatre mode and video playback daily) so I really need a solution!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:36:10 pm »

Try setting VideoClock both ways.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock

Under MC's Help Menu, do the benchmark and paste the results here.

Are the files on a NAS? 

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:41:41 pm »

I've set video clock smoothing to on and will test that tonight. Files are on a local hard drive so there shouldn't be a problem there. I ran the benchmark with the following results -

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 1.890 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.081 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 0.565 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.666 seconds
Score: 3653

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.594 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.681 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.736 seconds
    Small renders... 1.614 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 1.025 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.831 seconds
Score: 4014

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.278 seconds
    Populate database... 1.511 seconds
    Save database... 0.409 seconds
    Reload database... 0.080 seconds
    Search database... 1.351 seconds
    Sort database... 1.177 seconds
    Group database... 0.768 seconds
Score: 3857

JRMark (version 24.0.19): 3841

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 03:06:01 pm »

Good machine. Probably ok for video.

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 05:18:04 am »

In the interests of general system stability I've de-overclocked my PC.

I've never really considered this a factor as I ran several lengthy stress tests when I built the computer and set my overclock to reflect system stability with a safe margin at the time of setup. Running the benchmark made me wonder though, slower has got to be more stable and stress tests don't always translate to real operation. The PC should still be more than capable of video playback.

JRiver is the only program I'm having any issues with - I figure gaming is more demanding on the system and I've got no problems there. So it's a long shot, but I'll test and post back. Fingers crossed!

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:59 am »

Just a quick post to say thanks to JimH for the help I received with this issue and give an update on my progress.

I spent some time returning my PC to stock settings and uninstalling everything non-essential.
The result is I no longer get the drop in sound accompanied by the frame rate rocketing but the sound still drops out at random with video and audio. Sitting near the dac I actually heard it click like it was turning off when the sound dropped, the power stayed on so I cycled the power (it didn’t switch back on on the first attempt, I had to release the power button and press a second time) and restarted the music I was playing.

To be honest I’m not sure if I was dealing with two separate but similar faults and now one is cured (the fast forwarding drop out which happened with both dacs). Having heard the dac click like that I’d be amazed if it wasn’t the Mojo at fault.

On a side note I’ve found through all this that ASIO is the most stable, with kernel streaming JRiver would hang frequently in theatre mode specifically when clicking back out of a playing file and attempting to start a new one. No problem with ASIO.

MojoJojo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 08:17:03 am »

Chord have been in touch with a new driver to try. Hopefully that will do the trick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up