INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OpenGL?  (Read 2695 times)

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
OpenGL?
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:28:17 am »

When starting Theater View on MC24.0.15 I get an error message that says ''Error starting OpenGL Engine''. Says it needs v2.1 but only an earlier version is found.

So.......?
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OpenGL?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:38:32 am »

So apparently your driver does not provide a proper OpenGL implementation. You can try updating your graphics drivers.

One common cause we've apparently been seeing is people running Windows 10 on Hardware thats not actually supported on Windows 10 (mostly old Intel GPUs), which results in no OpenGL support. Unfortunately we can't solve that, if this is your case. At the minimum we have to rely on drivers working.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »

It's running with Windows 10 and an i5 *but* my graphics card is...well, old. I'm replacing the graphics card tomorrow and we'll see and advise, yeah?
Yours truly,

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:08 am »

OpenGL 2.1 is also quite old, so from a pure age standpoint its hard to tell. If you tell us what model your graphics card is, I can tell you if it should work, or if your driver might just be the problem.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tvmandan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:59 am »

I’m getting the same error. My cpu is an Intel Core i5-2500K with HD Graphics 3000 running on Win 10. Should this be working? I’ve tried installing the latest driver from Intel website (which is actually for win 8.1) and I’ve tried uninstalling driver and reinstalling from Win update. No luck. Can you please advise on how to fix this error? Can OpenGL be installed independently of the driver package?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:10:37 am »

The Intel HD3000 is not supported on Windows 10, and as you pointed out there is only Windows 8.1 drivers - which don't seem to have working OpenGL support on Windows 10. There is nothing we can do about that, sorry.
Its a shame that Intel doesn't offer Windows 10 support for GPUs from 2011 (when Sandy Bridge with the HD3000 came out) - and 10 came out in 2015, thats only 4 years old hardware back then, but having working drivers is the minimum we expect from any system MC runs on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 05:06:25 am »

I see the same thing (I have the  i5-2500K with the HD3000 graphics on Win10 on my server computer).

You have to go to Tools>Options>Theater View>Advanced and check the box "Use Direct3D". Then you will have a picture again in Theater View.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 05:30:17 am »

Note that D3D mode is scheduled to be removed eventually, and any further TheaterView improvements will not be added to it. A working driver is the minimum we have to rely on, and the Intel HD3000 does not provide that under Windows 10.

Refer to this:
Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:22:12 am »

Installed new AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series card that powers both of my monitors (desktop & main panel). OpenGL now works. BUT...the Theater view animation (and some video files playback) is jerky and choppy. Some video files play fine, others are jerky like the animation. MC23 is smooth in all instances.
Yours truly,

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »

Which specific card did you get? Hopefully not the 7400M http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/7817/AMD-Radeon-HD-7400M

But I get your point - that it works better in MC23 than it does with 24.
Did you try the D3D mode?

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:51:59 pm »

R6450-2GD3H/LP is all I know. Update: MC24--with some fooling with settings (no D3D) video playback is smooth and deep. Theater View animation is still choppy and jerky.

Can you suggest a better card? I'm not above buying another.
Yours truly,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 05:33:52 pm »

In MC's options for Theater View, there are two that affect drawing.  One is frame rate, the other is drawing quality.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 08:02:20 pm »

Where is "drawing quality" option? Can't find it.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:11:13 pm »

"Frame Rate" default is "60". What do you suggest? I tried "30"and no difference. Theater View menu is jerky. Also note, after a show plays, I touch "stop". It takes 3-4 seconds for the Theater View to come back up. (This whole post for me is all 32-bit BTW)

Where is "Drawing Quality"?
Yours truly,

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 07:39:59 am »

When you say "Animation in MC" is not smooth - do you mean watching "animated shows/movies", or are you referring to something about the MC program itself?

To help us understand your computer's power - run the MC Benchmark tool (Help>Benchmark).
Do you have an overall score of 2000 or higher?
_______________________________________________________________________________ ______

On another note, I replaced the i5-2500K CPU (Sandy Bridge) on my Server with an i3-3225 (Ivy Bridge) the other day, which has  the Intel HD 4000 graphics. But the first time I tried Theater View after the CPU install I still got the message I was running version 1.0 and Theater View was blank screen.

I tried to figure out what version I was running and found there was no place that showed the version. Googling said to "Run dxdiag" - but that doesn't report anything about OpenGL. Then another Google search turned up instructions to go to "Device Manager>Display Adapter>Drivers" which showed "OpenCL.dll was installed, but not the version.

After a Win10 restart and a couple of updates, the problem fixed itself (I guess new drivers where installed to support the new CPU/Graphics) and I now see the OpenGL version 4.3 (and OpenCL 1.2) in the "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel". Picture attached is from a different computer - but shows what I'm referring to with the Intel Graphics info.

This got me wondering what OpenGL version my other computers where running. On my laptop with nVidia Quadro NVS 160M (graphics) Theater View works fine but there is no place I can find that identifies the OpenGL version. Is there a way to see this info - or a safe program to download/install that will give this info for anyone else that comes across this thread about OpenGL?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 07:47:53 am »

This tool is what I use to identify extensions etc:
http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

Note that there is an exception specific to the Intel HD3000 on Windows 10. It may report OpenGL 3.2 support, but Intels OpenGL driver on those GPUs is actually broken on Windows 10 and doesn't work reliably (because the driver is designed for Windows 8 only).

Short of those Sandy Bridge Intel GPUs on Windows 10 (and any earlier Intel GPUs for that matter), OpenGL 2.1/3.2 support is actually quite widespread. Any graphics card from the last 10 years or sometimes even more will support it.
Only Intel disappoints by not having a Windows 10 driver for Sandy Bridge, even though the hardware can do OpenGL just fine.

---

For performance questions:
The drawing quality options Jim mentioned don't actually do anything for OpenGL, they're a hold-over from D3D Theater View and I'll probably hide them when OpenGL is active. There is one quality knob that I can re-introduce, and that is controlling anti-aliasing. OpenGL always renders against the VSYNC, which means that the Framerate option is also not supported.

There is always more things to be done to improve performance, too.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 09:01:52 am »

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:16 pm »

I stated "Theater View animation" meaning the theater view cover art and selecting box moved and zoomed jerkily.

My JR mark was 3515
Yours truly,

Phastrone

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 04:32:27 pm »

Try opening Tools>Options> Scroll down (in top box) to Advanced > Check “Use legacy Direct Theater View”..I’m running Windows 10 on an older laptop and that worked for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up