INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM problem with sub channel in 5.1 and JRSS  (Read 1199 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
WDM problem with sub channel in 5.1 and JRSS
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »

WDM driver set to 5.1 in windows audio control panel
DSP studio:
     Output Format set to 5.1, mixing to JRSS, Detect stereo sources in surround checked
Room Correction:
     Bass management all channels crossover set to 80Hz, Routing set to move bass to sub

With this config and playing a 2 channel audio source outside of MC, MC is doing something weird with the sub channel output. The sub is playing all audio like it is a left, right or center speaker not just sub frequencies.

This doesn't happen if:
1) the WDM driver is set to 7.1 or stereo in the windows audio control panel.
or
2) you playback a 5.1 audio source. If the WDM driver is set to stereo however you loose audio channels in the output.

For now setting the WDM driver to 7.1 is a work around even though my setup is only 5.1

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: WDM problem with sub channel in 5.1 and JRSS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:28 am »

Are you sure its not Windows doing the mix from stereo to 5.1?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:04 pm »

I the implication of Hendrik's answer is the issue. It seems a bit strange that 7.1 seems to work though, while 5.1 doesn't. But that could just be a result of the Windows upmixing.

What is your external source?
In the external source, what is selected as the output, the WDM Driver or the Windows Default Audio Device?
If the WDM Driver is selected as the output device in the external source, can it be set to exclusive mode?
Have you set the output of the external source to exclusive mode?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:30:54 am »

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure windows isn't doing the up mixing. None of the "Spatial sound" options are enabled in the control panel for the MC WDM driver or the final output which is set in MC to ASUS Xonar DX ASIO interface. Setting it to WASAPI makes no difference. Setting exclusive mode makes no difference. I can visually see the sub channel playing full frequency output within MC DSP looking at the Analyzer. So it is happening before the the final output to windows or the soundcard.

My "work around" of setting the WDM driver to 7.1 doesn't work perfect either I noticed... but better. When I set WDM to 7.1 I'm leaving MC DSP set to 5.1. Doing this and playing an external 2ch source like youtube video in a browser or song in foobar2k, I don't get the sub issue but JRSS isn't engaging. I know this because I get the same 2ch on the final output but without the sub issue.

(Green Working as expected)Stereo source, "Detect stereo sources in surround" checked:
WDM 2.0   DSP 5.1 = no sub problem, JRSS working
WDM 5.1   DSP 5.1 = sub problem, JRSS working
WDM 7.1   DSP 5.1 = no sub problem, JRSS not working(not detecting stereo source in surround?)
WDM 5.1   DSP 7.1 = sub problem, JRSS working

Stereo source, "Detect stereo sources in surround" NOT checked:
WDM 2.0   DSP 5.1or7.1 = no sub problem, JRSS working
WDM 5.1   DSP 5.1or7.1 = no sub problem, no JRSS as it's not checking for stereo sources
WDM 7.1   DSP 5.1         = no sub problem, no JRSS as it's not checking for stereo sources

It appears the problem only occurs when "Detect stereo sources in surround" is checked and WDM is set to something more than stereo(2.0). You can't leave the WDM driver set to stereo only because then you loose 3.1 channels of any 5.1ch external source.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 01:47:36 am »

You can configure the lowpass filter for the sub channel when upmixing (on the Output Format DSP page), did you set it?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

justsomeguy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 02:11:46 am »

I use JRSS when playing music internal from MC itself to upmix the 2ch music to 5.1. I always keep the lowpass subwoofer setting under Output Format set to "Silent" and use Room Correction to feed to sub. Has always worked well.

I went ahead and tried that though and set the low-pass to 80hz under Output Format. Unfortunately it made no difference. Still getting unfiltered output to the sub. It just seems to be ignoring that setting completely. With that low-pass set to silent the sub channel should be silent.

It's odd because playing 2ch content from within MC and using the exact JRSS/DSP config it works correctly. It's only when using WDM and an external audio source.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 02:40:01 am »

This might be fixed in an upcoming build, although Pseudo Surround Detection is never going to be a full replacement for just sending the audio in its proper channel configuration in the first place, since it has quite a few limitations to what can happen (and it can also trigger errorneously in some situations, just because the audio decides to only use front l/r for a period).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

justsomeguy

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 02:53:43 am »

Ya I can understand there might be some weird variables come into play that would make it problematic. Setting WDM to 2ch does fix it but that is an issue if you have an external source with more than 2ch. I'll just disable JRSS for WDM all together so I can keep 5.1 support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up