INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search by Cover Art  (Read 847 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
Search by Cover Art
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:23 pm »

I have quite a few tracks that, for whatever reason (missing album, no internet match found, other reason), have placeholder cover art associated with them. Many of these tracks share identical placeholder cover art.  I would like to work on fixing this so I would like to construct a search/make a smartlist to group these together. However, I can't figure out any way to search by cover art. The covers are all embedded inside the files, so not sure if this is exposed anywhere. Also, just for completeness, the covers in question are confirmed not in the list of on-disk image files.  Sorting by the thumbnail column doesn't even work to group them together (sorting by this column seems to have no effect whatsoever).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Search by Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:58:43 am »

That may be one of the stock smartlists.  Look under Playlists.

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:54:22 am »

If the files with the placeholder image are the only ones with the image embedded in the file you could modify the Audio--Task--No Images smartlist to find those files. Otherwise create a field called placeholder and put a 1 into it for all the files with a placeholder image. You can then pull these out with a smartlist whenever you want to work on them.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:45:53 am »

That may be one of the stock smartlists.  Look under Playlists.
I see smartlists for files with no cover images, but not one where a specific cover image is defined. Even if there was one there, I'm not sure how I'd know how to define the specific cover image I'm searching for since it's embedded in the files and I just don't see anywhere this information is exposed in the tags.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:52:22 am »

If the files with the placeholder image are the only ones with the image embedded in the file you could modify the Audio--Task--No Images smartlist to find those files. Otherwise create a field called placeholder and put a 1 into it for all the files with a placeholder image. You can then pull these out with a smartlist whenever you want to work on them.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't understand how this allows me to search for a specific cover image. The custom field implies I already know where all these files are, but that's the whole reason I want to perform the search. Sure, it's theoretically possible to manually go through all 17K+ files (or less, if I use album view, but still a ton), but that's pretty impractical. 

For now, I'm searching for files with covers that match the specific height and width of the various placeholder cover art images, but this is pretty imprecise and I'm still wading through a ton of false positives.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:01:19 pm »

Can I ask what size your placeholder image is and are all of the placeholder images the same size? If you modify the missing image smartlist changing is empty to is not empty and then add Image height and Image width to the sort requirement below media type, then the files will be presented in a fairly easily searched list, which should make placeholder images easier to spot, as long as your placeholder image size is not one of the common types.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »

Can I ask what size your placeholder image is and are all of the placeholder images the same size?
There are a bunch of different placeholder images, so they're of varying sizes. Most are on the small side, so that helps, but some MP3 utility I've run sometime in the past screwed up a whole bunch of cover art, so it's not just the placeholder ones. I will eventually try to get all those fixed as well, but I just want to start with the 100s of covers showing up as various John Mayer, Coldplay, and Bananarama albums and go from there.

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »

Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to search for an image name stored within a file, because no image name is stored there. Best way forward for you would be to delete cover art from files which you spot are wrong and then replace the cover art from the internet. With 17000 files that is going to take some time I'm afraid.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:23:29 pm »

Did you try selecting a few tracks and doing a right click > get from Internet?

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 04:37:04 pm »

Did you try selecting a few tracks and doing a right click > get from Internet?
That is what I'm doing, for the most part, when I come across tracks with the placeholder images in them.

What I'm trying to accomplish is find a way to search for all the tracks that have this exact same default placeholder cover art (there are 4-5 of these placeholder images that have gotten embedded in a bunch of files). Some of them are really low resolution, so it's possible to get the returned tracks down to a manageable number. But, for the ones that are a common resolution, I don't have any way to isolate just the ones that contain the placeholder image, making the process slow and very labor-intensive. I don't know how images are stored inside MP3 files, so not even sure there's a unique identifier to isolate here, but I was hoping someone else might know a trick that could save me hours of manual scrolling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up