INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphone Zone (moved from MC24 for Win)  (Read 965 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Headphone Zone (moved from MC24 for Win)
« on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:18 pm »

Hi bringing this over from the MC24 for Win forum. I hope that's ok, it probably should have been here in the first place.

I'm Trying to achieve something here and not sure if this is a correct or valid approach.

I've got an AV receiver that I use as an MC24 connected DLNA renderer. I sometimes use the connected speakers and sometimes use headphones.

I want to make use of the "headphone" DSP setting so what I have done is:

Created another zone called "AVR Headphone" and configured the headphone option in the DSP settings for that zone.

I have then linked this zone to the existing AVR Zone.

So now I have the 2 zones and they both play the same content on the AVR and I can switch between them, but I don't hear any difference.

So either the headphone DSP setting is not having much of an effect or this setup is not the way to achieve what I want.

I believe what i am trying to achieve is have 2 zones with different DSP settings linked to the 1 DLNA renderer, however I'm not sure I can do that.

Any advice appreciated.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
Re: Headphone Zone (moved from MC24 for Win)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:45 pm »

Resurrecting this after a while as now have some time to tinker.

I did move it from here a few months back: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116009.msg801998.html#msg801998 so that thread has some more context

I was thinking the way to achieve this - 1 DSP and 1 non DSP system for the same renderer - is to configure a second DLNA server with different DSP setting, including headphone, and associate the Zone with that when I want to use it; Right click on DLNA Zone -> Associate with DLNA Server -> Choose server.

Theoretically this would allow me to have 1 DLNA server that I leave alone and another where I can play around with DSP settings...?

Only drawback I can see is having to access the MC server to change the association, can't be done from panel or JRemote, but I think this is achieving what I want and I should use this and not zonelink?

Thanks

Scobie

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:58 am »

Well, I thought this one would be easy. But it isn't.

One thing I think you have misunderstood is that linked Zones don't play through each other. All linked Zones are played to at the same time.

So your Headphones Zone with its DSP can be played to.

Your AVR Zone with different or no DSP can be played to.

When you Link those two Zones, both are played to, at the same time. One with DSP and one without. You aren't sending the output of MC to the Headphones Zone, and sending the output of that Zone to the AVR Zones. Think about it; where did you define which Zone comes first? Hence what you hear as output on the AVR, whether via speakers or via the Headphones plugged into the AVR, is the AVR Zone output.

Consider this: You have some stereo outdoor speakers, and you have 5.1 speakers in your loungeroom. Each have there own DSP settings. When you link them, the output of MC goes to the Outdoor Speakers Zone and is downmixed to stereo, at the same time the output of MC goes to the Loungeroom Zone and is played in 5.1 surround sound. At least that is my understanding. I'm not running linked Zones.

Beyond that my head spun.

The only way I could think of doing what you wanted would be to set up two DLNA Servers in MC, one with DSP (Headphones) and one without (Normal Playback), and then switch DLNA Server on the AVR when you need to.

It is quite possible I am wrong in this. Someone else may come along and correct me.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:50:07 am »

Thanks Roderick.

You're right. When I started this thread a few months back what I didn't get is the relationship between a DLNA Zone and a Renderer. What I see now is that in terms of streaming files, at any one time there is a 1 to 1 relationship between a renderer and a zone, so whilst I could theoretically create a zone and  associate an AVR, I could only do so with one at a time, so switching between 2 zones, linked or not, with only 1 AVR is not really practical.

I knew that linked zones played the same output, but my mistake was to assume that I could use zones as kind of a floating config and just switch the same renderer between them; which as I say I don't think is a practical operating model.

Your suggestion on having 2 DLNA servers with their own setting aligns with what I outlined in my post earlier  as how I could go about achieving the outcome, so I think that validates my thoughts.

This method will work but I'll keep playing around with ideas cos its fun and beats working, but really appreciate your input.

Cheers

Scobie
Pages: [1]   Go Up