INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't import files to my library  (Read 696 times)

Bob0398

Can't import files to my library
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:50:03 am »

I have a Seagate external hard drive formatted in NTFS with about 4500 albums on it as flac files in various resolutions. I operate a pc running Windows 10 with JRiver 24.

I share this drive with a friend who uses a Mac and iTunes. I add music to this drive as does he.

I recently noticed that some files on the drive do not appear in my JRiver library. For example, one album with six tracks shows up in my library as an album with one track, #4. Tracks 1,2,3,5,&6 are not there. On his system, all six tracks are in his library and accessible through iTunes by him.

When I go into the hard drive directly, i can play all of the six tracks from there using the JRiver app.

I've tried importing to the library several times to no avail.

What can I do?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Can't import files to my library
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:33:35 pm »

they probally are there just not where your expecting to see them, this can be caused by the tags...usually the artist and album artist tags are the culprit....but not always....just a thought!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:58:24 pm »

click on the audio tab in the display window and then do a search for a file you think is missing and see if it turns up somewhere you didn't expect. Also you could look to see if there are is an unassigned group at the end of the album and artist tabs when expanded. I found a few of mine loitering there.

Bob0398

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:19:42 pm »

When I search for the "missing" tracks  using a variety of keys, they do not appear to be in the library.  Tomorrow, I'll try some other keys and report back. Thanks for your suggestions.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 01:33:04 am »

Use the Audio > Files view to drill down to where the files are. They will be there... unless iTunes has moved them. It does that sort of thing if you allow it.

Then it will be a matter of getting the [Album], [Artist], [Album Artist] and [Album Artist (auto)] tags correct in MC so that all tracks from the album are grouped together. Search the Wiki and forum for "[Album Artist (auto)]" to learn what the issue is.

Once you have fixed those tags, iTunes will then likely break them all again. Using one drive to manage one set of music files with both MC and iTunes is a very, very bad idea... unless you completely turn off all iTunes automatic file management, movement, and probably metadata functionality.

Convert your friend to MC for Mac.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bob0398

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:26:02 am »

Thank you for your post.  I'll try this later on and let you know the result.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:49:57 am »

I recently moved from MC 23 to MC 24, and today was the first time I tried importing a folder.  I have two independent copies of MC 24, one on a brand new machine.  I also have separate copies of the folder on external hard drives attached to each machine.  On my new machine all went well.  My older machine (on which I have been running JRiver for years) would not import the music in the folders.  The music is there - I can select it in File Manager and have it play through MC 24.  I've tried moving the folder around.  I figure this has to be some kind of configuration issue, but I have no idea what it could be.

I can restore a library from a back-up, but I'm not sure of the consequences.

Running the newest version of Windows 10.  Both computers are on the same network, but the music for each is stored locally.

Edit - solved it.  Somehow the audio option in the types of files to import had a black box in it (what does that even indicate?) instead of a check.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:38 pm »

A black box means that at least one of the sub-boxes aren't ticked.

You can expand the top level boxes to see what is included in each group.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up