INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Uninstall Old Interface Plug-in from 64-Bit JRiver: WritePlaying  (Read 976 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

I just upgraded from JRiver 23 32 bit to JRiver 24 64 bit. I am having some issues with plugins. I have been trying for years to make the ancient plugin "WritePlaying" (from 2004 by mattsnuts) work. It changed Media Center's Title Bar so that it displayed the currently playing track so you could see whats playing (with customizable text) without having to bring up the actual JRiver window.

Now when I run JRiver 24 64-bit I get a popup saying "Interface plug-in 'Write Playing' could not be found or created." Part of the problem is 32 vs 64 bit stuff and part of the problem is the plugin is old and has been carried over with my settings thru many upgrades.

1) How do I get rid of this prompt? How do I uninstall a legacy Interface Plug-in that is only there because all my settings and library have been copied over thru several upgrades of JRiver? There is an empty entry in 'Services & Plug-ins', but when I click on it I just get the same error prompt.

2) Is there a way to get JRiver to display what is currently playing in the Title Bar?

Additional Info:

WritePlaying was kinda working even in JRiver 23 32-bit, though every time you restarted JRiver you had to go to 'Services & Plug-ins' in the left hand tree, and re-enable it.

The plug-in is here (go to Interface Plug-ins, then scroll down): https://yabb.jriver.com/mediacenter/accessories.php

The last Forum reference for WritePlaying I could find was here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101418.msg704288.html#msg704288
and here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107699.msg747561.html#msg747561

TIA!

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Here is the official image of the WritePlaying interface window from back in 2004:

https://yabb.jriver.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/images/887.jpg

swiv3d

Might be worth uninstalling with remove registry entries selected and then reinstall - just a fingers crossed sort of idea!

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Thanks for replying. I actually fixed part of the problem, and it should have been obvious. I was (I think) able to uninstall the old plugin through Options/Services/Interface Plugins/Manage Interface Plugins/Remove 'Write Playing'

Yeah, it was that easy. I just didn't realize you handle the plugins from there.

That just leaves me with:

2) Is there a way to get JRiver to display what is currently playing in the Title Bar (via customizable text)?

If there is not a way then I would make this a feature request. It was a pretty nifty yet simple benefit when it was working.

Currently it appears that the Title Bar says 'JRiver Media Center', but when you hover over the Title Bar with the mouse the popup shows you '%artist - %name', which is pretty cool and honestly I can live with that. It would just be nice to see the 'artist - name' without needing to hover, though.

Thanks for everything!

swiv3d

If you click the title bar you get the customize display option which lets you determine what is shown when a track is playing. It should already show the file being played and some details about it.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Oops, I'm glad you replied as it showed me that I am using the wrong term! What I am really wanting to do is modify the 'TASKBAR BUTTON' for JRiver in the actual Window's Taskbar itself, NOT the Title Bar (which is part of JRiver and I have already customized that). I was just (erroneously) calling it the same thing that it was called in the old 'Write Playing' plugin.

So yeah, I want to customize JRiver's "taskbar button" to show what is playing. This way I can be in my browser or some other program and just SEE the JRiver taskbar button to know what is playing. When nothing is playing I want it to just behave as it already does and say "JRiver Media Center".

Again, thanks for helping me to clarify!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

So yeah, I want to customize JRiver's "taskbar button" to show what is playing.

I think that request has been made in the past. A search may find more information.

However, if you hover your mouse over the Taskbar Button now it will show what is playing in text above the button, in the form "[Artist] - [Name]".

Also, have you have a look at the MC "Mini View", accessible through the View menu at the top, or via Ctrl+2? That can be always on top, and can be transparent if inactive. In fact, it remains visible, only just, but readable.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

we had a beautiful 32bit one that worked great but it was for W7 only...I have asked if anyone who knows this stuff if they would take the time to turn it into a 64bit but never heard a thing....alas I miss it so!  :(
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

swiv3d

I tend to use miniview-always on top to provide control of MC and give me space to work on other stuff.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

I now use JRemote on my tablet to view whats playing and to control MC while I work on my computers. I have a plate stand that the tablet sits in quite nice and it works great.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Thanks all!

Yes, I like the functionality of being able to hover over the Taskbar Button and getting that popup. And I can live with that; it would just be nice to also have the text on the Taskbar Button itself say the "[Artist] - [Name]". As earlier stated, we had the ability in the past (with workarounds) and it was cool! While I appreciate the idea of the Mini-View, it has never really fit with my brain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up