INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Radio JRiver -- Lossless Streaming  (Read 50015 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW: Radio JRiver -- Lossless Streaming
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 12:06:39 am »

Click on Streaming, then look on the right.

vavan

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 04:48:36 am »

managed to send radio paradise to avr pioneer sc-2022 via dlna - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115480.msg809057.html#msg809057 but it doesn't work with radio jriver

replaced 2022 with top of the line pioneer sc-lx 901 and it still doesn't work. is this as designed and intended (not) to work this way?

mourip

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:47 am »

Is there a way to initiate a stream or switch to JRiver Streaming using JRemote?

Using JRiver Remote I now see that the current file shows along with cover art. That is nice but what if I wanted to switch from JRiver Radio Classical to Jazz?

Thanks!

disneyandbond

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17:20 am »

replaced 2022 with top of the line pioneer sc-lx 901 and it still doesn't work. is this as designed and intended (not) to work this way?

Hi - Cool idea for the FLAC radio, and hope you can get it to work on DLNA devices. However, I too cannot get this to work with a DLNA Yamaha receiver. Was able to get JRiver Radio working on my laptop in 'Player' through the laptop speakers. Then, I highlighted the full playlist and did 'Send to' over to my Yamaha RXA-1070, which is my normal DLNA device and can play FLAC (I normally it to play my own FLAC library on a NAS, controlled w/ JRiver).

After I did this, the Yamaha zone in JRiver showed the full JRiver Radio playlist queued up but it never played the music - each song was selected for a couple seconds before it moved on to the next one on the list, all the while without any sound, it just kept bouncing through the songs until I clicked stop.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 09:45:20 am »

Using JRiver Remote I now see that the current file shows along with cover art. That is nice but what if I wanted to switch from JRiver Radio Classical to Jazz?

Thanks!
Did you try Panel?

swiv3d

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2018, 07:14:43 pm »

If you add the files to a playlist you will probably be able to pick them up from a dlna link.

vavan

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 03:06:42 am »

Hi - Cool idea for the FLAC radio, and hope you can get it to work on DLNA devices. However, I too cannot get this to work with a DLNA Yamaha receiver. Was able to get JRiver Radio working on my laptop in 'Player' through the laptop speakers. Then, I highlighted the full playlist and did 'Send to' over to my Yamaha RXA-1070, which is my normal DLNA device and can play FLAC (I normally it to play my own FLAC library on a NAS, controlled w/ JRiver).

After I did this, the Yamaha zone in JRiver showed the full JRiver Radio playlist queued up but it never played the music - each song was selected for a couple seconds before it moved on to the next one on the list, all the while without any sound, it just kept bouncing through the songs until I clicked stop.
I see no reason why it shouldn't work given that radio paradise does. but in fact jriver radio doesn't and it behaves on my pio the very same way you just described your yamaha - connecting, waiting for few seconds, no sound then advancing to the next one

BradATIMA

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 01:31:38 pm »

I see no reason why it shouldn't work given that radio paradise does. but in fact jriver radio doesn't and it behaves on my pio the very same way you just described your yamaha - connecting, waiting for few seconds, no sound then advancing to the next one

It looks like when playing Radio JRiver, it's ignoring the DLNA server configuration, and just trying to send the file as is to the DLNA device. The DLNA device might not be able to handle flac or ape files. Playing Radio Paradise follows the DLNA server configuration, so it should still work.

disneyandbond

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2018, 07:14:36 am »

It looks like when playing Radio JRiver, it's ignoring the DLNA server configuration, and just trying to send the file as is to the DLNA device. The DLNA device might not be able to handle flac or ape files. Playing Radio Paradise follows the DLNA server configuration, so it should still work.

I can't speak for the other poster's experience, but as noted in my case my Yamaha RXA-1070 receiver is perfectly capable of .FLAC files, and that is how I usually listen to my own music collection (send FLAC files from my NAS to the Yamaha natively, no conversion...and they show up on the Yamaha as FLAC per Yamaha app audio information)

So playback of FLAC is not the issue behind Radio JRiver not working for me as described above (skipping through the playlist every few seconds with no audio).

mourip

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2018, 09:12:11 am »

Did you try Panel?

Thanks. I tried it but did not understand how to direct the sound away from my phone to my audio server. I finally figured that out and it works very well. It is really great that you are offering this streaming feature.

I do still prefer the interface of JRemote. Will you still be supporting and developing it or are you migrating to Panel?

vavan

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2018, 10:35:50 am »

I can't speak for the other poster's experience, but as noted in my case my Yamaha RXA-1070 receiver is perfectly capable of .FLAC files
so is pioneer of course

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:57 am »

The DLNA device might not be able to handle flac or ape files.
Using ape files makes no sense. Other than the obvious connection,  there is no reason to be using them these days.

swiv3d

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »

Dare I ask about any progress towards uploading other genres, I have some classical and jazz available for upload when ready.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2018, 06:48:15 am »

Dare I ask about any progress towards uploading other genres, I have some classical and jazz available for upload when ready.
Could you send to me?  Include both links for each playlist and include the station it should be added to.

I just started a thread on what we're thinking about doing next.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117095.msg810058.html#msg810058

swiv3d

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2018, 01:16:10 pm »

JRiver Radio just refuses to be sent to my network streamer - it is doing the flick through the playlist thing. Does the same when directed via panel to play to the streamer. Using 24.0.49.

EDIT: You get the same behaviour if the network streamer picks up a cloud playlist while in music server mode. DLNA just doesn't work. The JRiver Radio server must be responding in an odd way to the download requests. The same cloud playlists play fine if activated within MC and played by direct usb connection to the network streamer.

swiv3d

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »

Is anyone looking at improving JRiver Radio. At the moment this is a product aimed at only people with a direct play out to a network streamer - not really what people are looking for on the whole. Don't like critcising JRiver it is great overall but the radio staion needs a lot of work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 06:13:34 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by "play out to a network streamer".

You can use it directly in MC or on a remote machine by using Panel.

What did you have in mind?

Yes, we're still working on it.  The server problem brought everything to a halt for a couple of weeks. 

swiv3d

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »

Well Jim, If I chose to send the stream to a network receiver as I do with Radio Paradise, I expect it to play the sequence of tracks selected not to just skip through them without playing. I know that this is a new project as far as J~River is concerned, but users wil have certain expectations, espescially as JRiver is pretty exceptional in all aspects of it's performance in every other area, bur I do feel feel that JRiver Radio was launched a bit prematurely.  Personally I don't like having to say all this I have the greatest respect for what you are all doing .

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2018, 07:06:33 pm »

What are you playing to?

swiv3d

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2018, 07:11:20 pm »

I am sending to a pioneer n 50A. But I think you are ignoring the many other posts mentioning the same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »

I'm not ignoring anything.  There are just a lot of possible cases, and some won't work.

swiv3d

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2018, 09:03:07 pm »

Enough said!

vavan

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2018, 05:07:56 am »

same problem here. I can send radio paradise to my AVR Pioneer SC-LX 901 as last version finally fixed most of its problems (starting it using panel still doesn't work for me and I have to use desktop pc app) but radio jriver just doesn't work the same way

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 08:53:14 am »

... I do feel feel that JRiver Radio was launched a bit prematurely.
I thought I might say a little about how we work.  Maybe you know this, but we often launch the core of a new feature before we add all the bells and whistles for it.  This lets us get a good indication of how well received it may be, and it gives us feedback on what direction to go with it.

You may not like this approach, but it is what we do.

In this particular case, the Radio functionality is working well.  It doesn't yet support DLNA.  It does work with our Panel remote.

We're not at all finished with Radio JRiver.  Please enjoy what works, tell us what you want, and be patient during the process.

swiv3d

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 05:22:11 pm »

I fully understand your business model. I am just a little concerned that people will try it in the way I described and then just give up on it, which makes it more difficult to build up  a paying user base of which I am one.
Regards
AH

bluenose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2018, 03:46:42 pm »

I just saw that Jim said that the Radio functional doesn't support DLNA which explains (I think) why, after endless sweating over settings in JRiver and JRemote, I can't get any sound to play in my networked PS Audio DAC.

Can anyone tell us when DLNA will be supported?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2018, 04:29:25 pm »

We're working on it.

bluenose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2018, 06:06:35 pm »

Thanks Jim. I'm really looking forward to it. I think high resolution streaming can be a big part in the future of music for audiophiles. Spotify has a huge chunk of the streaming market but for some reason has not yet seen fit to offer a high resolution option. If they ever do, look out. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:20 pm »

The next step we will take is to see if we can hook up the Doctor Who interface (under Playlists) and use it to let people upload playlists and play them from our server.  We will probably reset the existing data.

We've taken a break on this for two reasons.  Our recent server problems put the brakes on any development for a few weeks.  And there were some back end server pieces necessary for reporting purposes.

swiv3d

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 05:52:45 pm »

Does this mean that our existing uploads will be removed?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:57 pm »

I don't think so.  Just the previous Dr. Who playlist uploads (which had no files).

swiv3d

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2018, 06:13:10 pm »

Thanks JimH in that case I might rebuild my upload library. Aren't you going to have a lot of Dr Who users miffed if their playlists are wiped?

swiv3d

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »

Hi all,
Just tried a send to my pioneer-N50A from JRiver Radio and unlike the previous behaviour of flicking through the playlist I get a little message that the device is receiving an unsupported format, strange because this is a flac file which I can send to my device from my main library and it plays perfectly. Radio paradise can send flac files to the device with no problem. Just a heads up!

swiv3d

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »

Any updates on the JRiver Radio status?

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:39 am »

I'm confused bout this feature:

Upload to Cloud
You can build a playlist of FLAC, APE, or ALAC files and Upload to Cloud (JRiver's server at Amazon).  You will receive an e-mail with links.

I can't seem to find any tools to do this in MC. Can someone point me to some directions on this feature? Using v.24.0.55

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2018, 09:06:16 am »

I'm confused bout this feature:

I can't seem to find any tools to do this in MC. Can someone point me to some directions on this feature? Using v.24.0.55
Click Playlists in the tree
Right Click a Playlist
Click Upload to Cloud

swiv3d

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2018, 08:45:37 pm »

I don't think the upload to cloud feature is available to non-beta team members yet, but it will be eventually when they iron out the methodology.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2018, 01:14:31 am »

It won't be long now.

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »

Could I please request a film score - trailer music Radio JRiver channel?

Thank you.

swiv3d

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »

Any updates on JRiver radio?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 06:53:47 pm »

Nothing public yet, but we're close.

swiv3d

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »

Nice to hear. Waiting aghast!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »

I don't think the upload to cloud feature is available to non-beta team members yet, but it will be eventually when they iron out the methodology.
It's now available to everyone.  You need 24.0.70, just posted at the top of this board (or higher).  More here.

swiv3d

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2018, 06:56:23 pm »

What is the minimum length of a track for playback from the jriver upload system - the 42 second intro track of an album doesn't play and the second track is played instead - had I known I would have edited the tracks so that the 42 second one was added to the second track.

swiv3d

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »

Is it possible to delete the uploaded files and replace them with versions which work correctly?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2018, 07:23:24 pm »

I don't know of a minimum length, but it's possible we introduced a bug when we fixed a problem with Radio Paradise.

If you upload a playlist again, the new one should take effect. 

swiv3d

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2018, 07:27:50 pm »

Ok Jim, I will edit the audio files and try uploading them again. Any advances on playing to a dlna device yet - mine still skips happily from file to file telling me that this file is not supported even though it is a standard flac file.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:59 pm »

Not yet.

swiv3d

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2019, 04:29:45 pm »

Just to let you know that playback of short tracks is now working ?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »

I am morbidly curious about licensing of the files we send in works.

How can you handle if someone sends in a file from some esoteric show pulled from a bootleg, etc? I listen to a ton of Japanese music ripped from CDs because there is zero easy digital option to purchase (I have found a relatively easy way to purchase FLAC/WAV from E-Onkyo though...). What happens if I upload such a track? Just curious. Didn't see it mentioned or talked about in the thread history, sorry if something similar was asked before and I missed it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up