INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Licensing  (Read 909 times)

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
Music Licensing
« on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:15 pm »

What does "we are licensing these files" mean. They aren't?

Anyway, I wish y'all would stick to your knitting of making the greatest audio player ever.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Music Licensing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:21:47 pm »

Thanks for the advice. We are compliant with licensing requirements.

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:11:24 pm »

So what does compliant mean? Artists are getting paid?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13:17 pm »

You could do an Internet search to learn about licensing.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 08:08:47 am »

So what does compliant mean? Artists are getting paid?

Music licensing is kind of complicated in the U.S., partly driven by historical reasons.  Copyright doesn't just restrict copying, it also restricts broadcast or public performance of copyrighted work as well.  Services like spotify allow users to choose what they want to listen to on demand, which requires a different (and more expensive) sort of licensing than, say, a normal radio station needs, which is a different sort of license than, say, a band covering a song needs.  Most people aren't aware that plain old terrestrial radio stations (or satellite radio stations for that matter) need to pay license fees too, just like Spotify. 

For historical reasons the "radio-type" license is much cheaper than the "play what you want" type license.  To qualify for the radio streaming license you need a service that's less interactive and more varied (users are limited in their ability to choose what they hear and, generally, whole albums aren't getting played).  There are a few online services that have tried to capitalize on the comparative cheapness of the radio-type licenses (although the fees are still significant, just not as high as what play on demand services pay).

To be clear, I don't know if JRiver is using the radio-type licensing, or if they negotiated some other kind of license (I don't work for JRiver, obviously), but the structure of the service suggests something akin to the radio license.  When I worked in radio, we payed an annual fee to ASCAP (the rights-holder for most songwriters publishing in America), and we also had to log and report what we actually played.  ASCAP aggregated the reported plays and the fees from all licensed stations, and then doled out the royalties to the artists based on play share (after taking their cut). 

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:06:05 am »

Great Post mwillems...thanks... ;D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:34 am »

What does "we are licensing these files" mean. They aren't?

Anyway, I wish y'all would stick to your knitting of making the greatest audio player ever.

while I may never use the radio features of JRiver, I applaud them for adding these types of services because I know they will focus on quality, even if the UI/UX are lacking (seriously guys - you may have all but killed JRemote and that's fine - iOS native is not your roadmap, but you do know you can recreate that UI/UX almost entirely in HTML5/CSS3 - why mess with near perfection?  do that and I think so many of us will stop moaning about it :))  but I digress.

anyway - your comment there stuck out: I think the new features are a nice and natural extension to their core business, which is great.  i keep looking for ways to extend JRiver beyond my home theater room and onto all my devices/set top boxes.  after last night's experience, I am ready to dump Plex for my non home theater rooms.  they have lost their way.  but can I get the family on board with JRiver in the common room?  time will tell...  and now I'm way off topic ;)

cheers

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up